BUCHAREST, Romania — How safe is it to eat snow? A Romanian university has published the results of just such a study.
The 2017 experiment showed it was safe to eat snow that was a half-day old, and safer to eat it in the colder months.
But by two days old, the snow is not safe to eat, Istvan Mathe, a professor at the Sapientia Hungarian University of Transylvania, said.
Scientists collected snow from a park and from a roundabout in Miercurea Ciuc, central Romania, in January and February and placed it in sterile containers.
They then tried to grow bacteria and mold in them.
‘‘Very fresh snow has very little bacteria,’’ Mathe said Thursday. ‘‘After two days, however, there are dozens of bacteria.’’
He said the microorganisms increase because of impurities in the air.