Here’s what we know about the terrorist attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand:
• At least 49 people are dead and more than 20 people are seriously wounded in the attack. Many of the victims could be migrants or refugees, according to New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern.
• The attack began at around 1:45 p.m. local time at Masjid Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch. At least 41 people were killed at that location. At a second shooting at the Linwood Masjid Mosque, at least seven people were killed, and one person later died at the hospital.
• Authorities found two improvised explosive devices in a car, which were being disabled by police.
• A 28-year-old white Australian man claimed responsibility for the attacks. Three men and a woman were taken into custody Friday, and one of the men has been charged with murder so far. One person was later released.
• Authorities in New Zealand said they had no prior information about the individuals in custody, nor did their counterparts in Australia.
• The attack appears to have been carefully planned. A manifesto published by the apparent shooter ahead of the attack expresses racist, anti-immigrant sentiments, according to the Associated Press.
• The shooter apparently livestreamed the attack on social media. Tech companies say they are working to remove the video from their platforms.
• New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush told people to stay away from mosques in New Zealand until further notice. “Close your doors until you hear from us again,” Bush said during a press conference.
• Police said there would be a heightened presence around community events in the coming days. Air New Zealand canceled several regional flights because passengers on those flights are not subject to the same security screenings as those on larger planes.
• Christchurch is located on New Zealand’s southern island and is home to about 388,000 people.
Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.