Next Score View the next score


    Peter Cronin, BC High start season on high note

    BC High may have been playing its first game, but Peter Cronin was in late-season form.

    The senior goaltender made 32 saves on Saturday to lead the Eagles to a 1-0 win over Don Bosco Prep, a premier New Jersey program playing its sixth game of the season, at Harvard’s Bright Hockey Center.

    “That’s what we’ve come to expect of Peter Cronin and that’s what he’s delivered for us,” BC High coach John Flaherty said. “We did a lot of running around in the first game of the year and he rose to the occasion.”


    Sophomore forward Tim Larocque scored the game’s lone goal when he hammered in a rebound 4:09 into the second period. Junior Steve DeForge initiated a 2-on-1 break, and Larocque positioned himself perfectly for the loose puck.

    Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
    Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    With 3:32 to play in the game, Don Bosco forward Dylan Healey finally beat Cronin, but the goal was wiped off the board because of a high-sticking penalty.

    “My heart stopped for a second,” Cronin said. “Those things are bound to happen, but you have to be lucky to be good sometimes.”

    The Ironmen peppered Cronin with 15 shots in the second period. Don Bosco’s best opportunity came from Connor Healey, but Cronin made a nifty glove save to deny the defenseman with 4:30 to play.

    In the second half of the doubleheader, Malden Catholic looked much like the team that hoisted the Super 8 title last winter as it cruised to a 5-1 victory against Delbarton, which has won five consecutive New Jersey state titles.


    With 1:44 to play in the opening stanza, junior Patrick Wrenn took a centering pass from Brian Cameron and scored to put the Lancers up, 1-0.

    Three minutes into the second period, defenseman John McLean trailed a breakaway and put home the rebound of Ara Nazarian’s shot.

    With 4:05 left in the second, Wrenn scored again, this time assisted by Cameron Ferry. Two minutes later, Ferry scored to make it 4-0.