Next Score View the next score

    School roundup: Marshfield rolls into final

    When a team is clicking on all cylinders in the postseason, it can be a dangerous out for any opponent. Top-seeded Archbishop Williams found that out the hard way as Marshfield blitzed the Bishops for three first-period goals en route to a 5-1 win in the Division 1 South semifinals Sunday at Gallo Arena in Bourne.

    “It was very unexpected to get up, 3-0, that quick,” said Marshfield coach Dan Connolly. “Our kids played great, we were all over them with a lot of energy.”

    The Rams, seeded fifth, came out flying from the start, winning the battles in the corner, getting to loose pucks, and peppering the net with shots.


    Seven minutes into the game their efforts were rewarded when senior Will Decoste won the puck in the corner and found Jimmy Connors wide open at the far post for an easy tape-to-tape pass and the game’s first goal.

    Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
    Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Just seconds later, Liam Manning added a second goal when a pass toward the net deflected off a skate resulting in a fortuitous bounce into the net.

    Things went from bad to worse for the Bishops (13-5-4), who couldn’t control the puck and found themselves on the wrong end of a five-on-three as the period wound down.

    Marshfield (19-6-0) capitalized, as Matt Burchill took a pass above the slot and avoided a defender before rifling a shot top shelf for a commanding 3-0 lead.

    The Archies bounced back early in the second, but could only muster one goal against Marshfield goalie Connor Lemieux.


    Marshfield regained momentum when junior David Cataldo picked up a loose puck along the boards and found the tiniest of openings on the short side for a goal that stopped any Archies momentum.

    “They took it to us a bit in the first five minutes of the second, but we settled in and got a great goal from the third line,” said Connolly. “[Cataldo] picked that corner perfect.”

    Senior Michael Carbone provided the final tally late.

    The win sets up a Division 1 South final against Hingham. In their regular-season finale,the second-seeded Harbormen won, 10-1, at Marshfield.

    Franklin 4, Mansfield 3 — For the third straight year, the Panthers are heading back to the Division 2 South final thanks to a win over their Hockomock League rival at Gallo Arena.


    Franklin (16-6-2) got goals from Randy Gilbert and Aiden Isberg to take a 2-1 lead in the second period. But the sixth-seeded Hornets (14-6-3) countered with a pair of goals 35 seconds apart to seize a 3-2 lead. Franklin was a man down late in the period, but a bad turnover sent Franklin’s Cam Curley on a breakaway. The senior captain calmly backhanded a shot home to tie the game heading into the third.

    “That was huge,” said coach Chris Spillane. “They were moving the puck well, but any time you get Cam on open ice good things happen.”

    Franklin held the momentum in the third and tallied the winner midway through. Sophomore Alec Borkowski took a pass from classmate Nick Downie and was able to muscle through a goal from a scrum in front of the net and send the seventh-seeded Panthers back to the sectional final.


    At the New Balance Indoor Nationals in New York, Hingham’s Julie McConville finished second in the 2-mile in 10 minutes 17.15 seconds. The Acton-Boxboro 4 x 200 relay team of Bill Tejeda, Nick Usoff, Andrew Doelp, and Brian Sommers was fifth in 1:29.93. Newton South’s Jung Park was fifth in the 60-meter hurdles in 7.99.