division 2 north boys' hockey final

Wilmington cruises to title against Danvers

Brian Pickett gets help from his teammates in lifting the championship trophy.
Brian Pickett gets help from his teammates in lifting the championship trophy.

LOWELL — It was the Cam Owens and Brendan McDonough show Monday night at Tsongas Center as Wilmington downed Danvers, 7-2, in the Division 2 North boys’ hockey final. Owens finished with three assists while McDonough scored a hat trick.

Wilmington (20-3-2) didn’t wait long to take control, with Luke Foley scoring just over a minute into the contest.

“We focus on that, we try to get on them quick and keep capitalizing on our opportunities,” Owens said.


The Wildcats would maintain control in the first period and tack on another goal 11 minutes in with McDonough scoring his first goal.

Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Danvers (13-7-4) answered in the second period, with A.J. Couto putting the Falcons on the board three minutes in. That was as close as Danvers would get, however, with McDonough and Owens taking over soon afterward.

“They played great, it’s a great line. They’re high-octane, they share the puck pretty well and get big results,” Wildcats coach Steve Scanlon said.

Owens assisted on McDonough’s second goal, a glove-side shot that beat Falcons goalie Alex Taylor. The goal came just 50 seconds after the Falcons’ first goal.

“Cam fed it off the board to my stick,” McDonough said. “I was going to go all the way across the net but [Taylor] was right there so I just took the shot.”


Four minutes later, Owens dished to McDonough, whose shorthanded goal completed the hat trick.

“Brendan’s got a snipe, he picks his corners. He tosses the cheese. I just feed him and he puts it away more times than not,” Owens said.

Scanlon echoed Owens, saying “McDonough’s a sniper. He’s been getting after it a bit more as a shooter . . . He can push you off the puck a little bit.”

Wilmington entered the third period with a 4-1 lead and scored another three goals. Jake Rogers scored the final goal, with Owens and McDonough getting assists.

“We had a little bit of jitters early but getting a couple [of goals] early helped out,” Scanlon said.


Wilmington won its second straight sectional title and is headed back to TD Garden to face either Oliver Ames or Franklin on Sunday.

“They don’t get any bigger than the next one . . . we’re not concerned with who we’re playing [next]. We’re going to worry about ourselves and get ready for the game,” Scanlon said.