Next Score View the next score


    Marshfield stuns Hingham in Div. 1 South final

    For the second straight year, the Franklin Panthers get their hands on the Division 2 South sectional championship trophy.
    Steve Haines For The Globe
    For the second straight year, the Franklin Panthers get their hands on the Division 2 South sectional championship trophy.

    Less than three weeks ago, on Feb. 22, Marshfield and Hingham met in a regular-season tilt that ended in a 10-1 blowout victory for the Harbormen.

    Tuesday night, in the Division 1 South sectional final at Gallo Arena in Boure, the teams met again, but with grander stakes.

    After No. 9 Hingham took a 1-0 lead early in the second period, No. 19 Marshfield exploded en route to a 6-3 victory and a trip to Sunday’s Division 1 final at TD Garden against Burlington.


    “It was probably a surprising ending 6-3, I thought it’d be more of a 2-1, 3-2 game one way or the other,” said Marshfield coach Dan Connolly.

    Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
    Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Matt Brazel scored Hingham’s (16-9-2) only meaningful goal of the contest, in the third minute of the second period. Then the Rams took over.

    “We competed hard, we talked to the kids about the first five, six seven minutes about not letting them get a jump on us and out-compete them for everything,” Connolly said.

    Marshfield (20-6) answered with at the 10-minute mark in the second period off the stick of Trevor Salmon. The defenseman converted on a backhanded shot bet­ween the five-hole.

    “We knew we wanted to come back with the revenge game. I got an awesome pass from JoJo Carbone, shot it and got lucky, I thought,” Salmon said.


    The senior’s goal opened the floodgates, with the Rams scoring two more goals before the second period horn sounded to secure a 3-1 lead going into the third.

    Matt Burchill scored on a five-on-three power play, and Jimmy Connors found the back of the net with 10 seconds left in the period.

    “At the end of the second, it was like bing, bang, bang, you know. Three goals like that,” Connolly said.

    Marshfield would continue to light up the scoreboard, tallying another three in the third period before Hingham made the score respectable late in the game.

    The Rams can look ahead to Sunday.


    “I know we have what it takes to go all the way,” Salmon said.

    Connolly was a bit more cautious, saying “We’re just going to enjoy this for a couple days and after that, start getting ready for Burlington.

    “They were here last year, so they know what it’s like to be there. Hopefully we’ll be ready to go.”

    Franklin 3, Oliver Ames 1 — Cam Curley scored 34 seconds into the game and Franklin played suffocating defense to defeat Oliver Ames in the Division 2 South sectional final at Gallo Arena in Bourne.

    “We talk all the time about getting that first one. We just worked hard, we got to the net and it went in. That set the tone for the whole game and it made it a lot easier for us,” Curley said.

    The Panthers (17-7-2) advance to TD Garden to play North champion Wilmington Sunday at 1:30 p.m. in a rematch of last year’s title game, which Wilmington won, 3-2.

    Oliver Ames (17-6-2) struggled to answer the Panthers’ intensity, mustering just 15 shots on goal.

    “We changed up our forecheck a little bit, we trapped them and didn’t let some of the bigger kids stretch their legs,” said Franklin coach Chris Spillane.

    The Panthers tallied another goal in the first, when Alec Borkowski potted a power-play marker.

    Kyle Powers scored the final Franklin goal in the second. Kyle Hayes scored the lone goal for the Tigers with 30 seconds to play.