Next Score View the next score

    Bobby Shuttleworth (9 saves) helped Revolution salvage draw with Timbers

    For the fifth time in seven games the Revolution failed to score a goal when they took on the Portland Timbers Thursday night.

    But thanks to Bobby Shuttleworth, the Revolution came away with a point in the 0-0 tie before a sellout crowd of 20,674 at Jeld-Wen Field.

    Shuttleworth finished with nine saves in earning his second straight shutout as the Timbers kept the Revolution goaltender busy with 22 shots. He made four saves in last week’s 2-0 win over the Philadelphia Union.


    “Bobby did a nice job. It’s the second game in a row he’s played really well,’’ said Revolution coach Jay Heaps. “It’s not an easy environment [at Jeld-Wen Field]. I think he’s reading the game well. It wasn’t like he was making spectacular saves, but he was making saves because of being in the right position, which is better than a spectacular save for me.”

    Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
    Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Portland’s Darlington Nagbe missed an opportunity in the 15th minute when he got a second chance on a shot that deflected off Shuttleworth but couldn’t finish.

    New England’s Ryan Guy’s bid in the 42d minute caromed off the fingertips of Donovan Ricketts (four saves) and sailed just over the net, and the two teams went to the break at 0-0.

    Portland forward Ryan Johnson’s strike from inside the box in the 53d minute was bobbled slightly by Shuttleworth, but he dived on it just as Johnson was coming in for a second chance.

    The Timbers dominated possession for most of the rest of the match. Diego Valeri had a high-arcing free kick in the 68th minute that failed to reach Rodney Wallace before Shuttleworth got to it. Valeri got a good look in the 82d minute, but it went wide by just inches.


    Ricketts may have saved the game for the Timbers late in the match when he dived to stop a breakaway shot by Saer Sene.

    It was Ricketts’s third clean sheet of the season.

    ‘‘You need to be hungry and you need to dig deep to win games,’’ Timbers coach Caleb Porter said. ‘‘I thought we did that, but we just couldn’t find the goal.’’

    Shuttleworth said the shutout was a team effort.

    “I think we were super organized in the back tonight,’’ he said. “We all kept our lines, kept our shape and were able to keep a clean sheet. I think it shows the depth we have on this team.’’


    Portland (1-3-5) stretched its unbeaten streak to seven with the draw, its longest since the team joined MLS in 2011. It was the first time the Timbers failed to score a goal this season.

    ‘‘It’s hard to say we got shut out. We shut ourselves out,’’ Portland midfielder Will Johnson said. ‘‘We had our chances, they were there.’’

    The Revolution are 2-3-3, but remain winless on the road. Their win over the Union had snapped a five-match winless streak.

    The Revolution were without left back Chris Tierney after he was suspended a game ‘‘for a reckless challenge that endangered the safety of his opponent,’’ a tackle against Sebastian Le Toux last weekend against the Union. Tierney also was fined for the tackle.

    The Revolution (2-3-3) host Real Salt Lake on Wednesday, kicking off a stretch of five home games in six matches. It presents an opportunity to move up from seventh in the Eastern Conference.

    “I think this is a big stretch for us,’’ said Shuttleworth. “I think we need to go home and take care of business and make it difficult for teams to play us at Gillette.”

    The Timbers Army supporter’s group unfurled a banner reading ‘‘Boston, Oregon,’’ and offered well wishes for Revolution defender Kevin Alston, who was diagnosed with leukemia and is out indefinitely. Another sign displayed at Jeld-Wen said ‘‘Boston Strong.’’