Jerry Remy will return to NESN booth Tuesday

Jerry Remy (foreground left) will be reunited with broadcast partner Don Orsillo Tuesday.
Jim Davis/Globe Staff
Jerry Remy (foreground left) will be reunited with broadcast partner Don Orsillo Tuesday.

Red Sox television analyst Jerry Remy, out since May 28 because of illness, said he will return to the broadcast booth Tuesday, when the Sox play the Colorado Rockies at Fenway Park.

Remy said on a conference call Wednesday he was initially absent from NESN’s telecasts because of allergies. That turned into pneumonia, and after antibiotics didn’t help, he was hospitalized for five days.

“It’s hard, because the same thing has happened three years in a row,” he said. “I’ve come down with these allergies, and right now we’re in the process of trying to find what I’m allergic to, what’s starting this stuff.


“Obviously my lungs are compromised because of having cancer twice. Every time I have an illness, it seems to gravitate to my lungs, and that makes things more complicated. It’s frustrating, but yet on the other hands things could be much worse.’’

Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The absences of the popular Remy are always concerning. He twice has been treated for lung cancer and has battled depression.

He hadn’t offered an update on his status since June 5, when he revealed on Twitter he was suffering from pneumonia.

“Everything I said at the beginning was true,’’ said Remy. “I was working a Sunday game [May 26 versus Cleveland] and did have an allergy attack. I thought that that would improve after a couple of days. It actually got worse the Monday night that I worked. I went to the doctor the following day, and I was told at that time I had pneumonia.’’

He was put on oral medication, but Remy said his body rejected the antibiotics. When he began to feel worse, he was admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital.


“Within 48 hours, that made a tremendous difference,’’ said Remy, who received an IV of antibiotics during his five days at MGH, “along with the usual hospital stuff.”

But in the days after being discharged, he said, he still felt lethargic and wasn’t quite ready to return to the booth.

“The club was on the road at the time, so the doctors felt it best that I not go on the road anyway,’’ Remy said.

He will return with no restrictions and plans to work a full schedule.

“I missed doing my job, and I’m thankful for NESN for being so understanding about everything I’ve been through,” he said. “I’m looking very much forward to getting back into the booth and following this club to the playoffs.’’


He did get some good news while he was hospitalized.

“The results of the radiation treatment were very, very good,’’ he said. “So that’s a bit of a load off my mind.’’

Chad Finn can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @globechadfinn.