1. Sweet Reason: Excuse in last, had monster win at Saratoga.
2. Untapable: Fast speed figure at Churchill Downs.
3. Secret Compass: Won Chandler Stakes at Santa Anita.
FILLY AND MARE TURF
1. Emollient: Actually dreamed this horse won, must-play for me.
2. Romantica: French filly shortening in distance.
3. Dank: British filly won at Arlington Park in August.
FILLY AND AND MARE SPRINT
1. Sweet Lulu: Always look for horse cutting back in distance in sprints.
2. Summer Applause: See above.
3. Book Review: She’ll be charging late, too.
1. Mizdirection: 6 for 6 over Santa Anita turf course.
2. Unbridled’s Note: Expecting big improvement off last race.
3. Tightend Touchdown: Always in it, should get a piece.
1. Havana: Beat Honor Code in Champagne; Honor Code will win 2014 Derby.
2. Tap It Rich: Has won only once, but has big speed figure.
3. Smarty’s Echo: On dirt for the first time, expect improvement.
1. The Fugue: British filly, expertly trained by John Gosden, beats males.
2. Magician: Irish colt could complete nice exacta.
3. Point of Entry: Very consistent, should be around at the finish.
1. Sum of the Parts: Coming off big win at Keeneland, set up perfectly.
2. Secret Circle: Huge speed figure after resting for six months.
3. Justin Phillip: Very consistent, won’t be far behind.
1. Wise Dan: Practically unbeatable at a mile on the grass.
2. Silver Max: In tremendous form, just not good enough.
3. Obviously: Loves Santa Anita.
1. Game on Dude: Horse of the Year makes up for last year’s failure.
2. Declaration of War: Irish colt is actually used to running on lefthanded tracks.
3. Moreno: Speedster hangs on for third.
Joe Sullivan can be reached at email@example.com.