School roundup: CM passes week of tests

The Catholic Memorial boys’ basketball team survived the gantlet.

Playing its third game in six days, all against ranked opponents, the No. 1 Knights needed overtime on Tuesday night at BC High’s McNeice Pavilion to escape with a 106-100 win over the No. 11 Eagles.

“It was an unbelievable high school game,” said CM coach Denis Tobin. “[BC High] had a big crowd. It was most certainly a tournament atmosphere.”


Catholic Memorial junior Giulien Smith hit a layup as time expired to make it 89-89 and send the game into overtime.

Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The Knights (16-1, 8-0 Catholic Conference) attacked the basket in the extra time and got to the charity stripe, sinking all 10 free throws to come out on top.

“We had the adrenaline since we tied it [at the end of regulation],” Tobin said. “It carried through into overtime. I think [BC High] thought they had it won.”

Smith finished with 34 points and 10 rebounds, playing the final five minutes of regulation and overtime with four fouls.

The Eagles held an 8-point lead with five minutes left in regulation, but CM used its pressure to force turnovers and sophomore Brandon Twitty drained three key 3-pointers to lead the comeback.


BC High (9-5) was led by a trio of seniors: Tom Galanek (25 points), Steve Young (24 points), and Phil Leotsakos (22 points).

“There was no quit in BC High,” Tobin said. “This one was clearly the toughest game we’ve had so far.”

Brighton 62, Charlestown 59 — Jason Jones had 20 points and 16 rebounds, and Mark Mojica added 22 points and six assists to lift the Bengals (8-6).

Saugus 70, Triton 43 — Senior Joe Bertrand led the Sachems (9-7) with 27 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals.

Arlington Catholic 48, Archbishop Williams 40 — Junior forward Matt Wesolowski had 16 points and 13 rebounds as the Cougars clinched a spot in the state tournament.


Quincy 71, Hingham 68 — Colin Evans scored 12 points, including two free throws to secure the win for the Presidents (8-3), who qualified for the tournament. Also starring for the hosts were junior James Lam (14 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds, 8 steals) and JT Bain (21 points, 10 rebounds).

Concord-Carlisle 66, Waltham 54 — Senior guard Jamir Henderson scored 29 points to spark the Patriots (12-1).

Bishop Feehan 74, Somerset Berkley 57 — Frank Oftring scored 25 points and added 16 rebounds for the Shamrocks.

West Roxbury 55, O'Bryant 43 — Senior forward Raymond Tejeda recorded 21 points and 14 rebounds for the Raiders.

Silver Lake 62, Duxbury 58 — Tanner Bouchard (21 points) and Josh O'Neill (20) sank four 3-pointers each in the win.

Franklin 69, Sharon 64 — Senior guard Chris Rodgers scored 33 points with eight rebounds for the host Panthers.

Canton 67, King Philip 59 — Seniors Matt Kelley (27 points) and Sam Larson (24 points) carried the Bulldogs (9-7).

Wellesley 69, Walpole 56 — Aidan James had 25 points to lead the No. 17 Raiders.

Lynn Classical 72, Revere 62 — Junior guard Philip Rogers scored 28 points and added 12 rebounds to lead the Rams.

Girls’ basketball

Acton-Boxboro 45, Bedford 39 — The Colonials made a statement on their home court, building an 11-point halftime lead before hanging on to beat No. 5 Bedford.

On a sophomore-laden squad, it was senior Becca Shamah who sparked the Colonials with 18 points and 11 rebounds.

Lynn English 54, Peabody 37 — Senior Deidra Newson had 18 points and 17 rebounds as the No. 3 Bulldogs (16-0) clinched the Northeast Conference championship.

Lexington 61, Reading 50 — Sophomore guard Anna Kelly had a triple-double for the Minutemen, with 33 points, 14 rebounds, and 11 steals.

North Quincy 58, Scituate 55 — Grace Geary led the Red Raiders with 22 points, 8 rebounds, and 6 steals.

Lynnfield 53, Georgetown 38 — Emma Mancini scored 32 points and had 10 rebounds for the visiting Pioneers.

Wakefield 60, Stoneham 59 — Junior Daniella Iannuzzi scored a layup as time ran out to win it for the host Warriors.