You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

MLB notes: Union is OK with Alex Rodriguez

No hard feelings following lawsuit

Alex Rodriguez sued MLB and the players’ association in January in an effort to overturn a season-long suspension, then dropped the lawsuit this month.

Scott Halleran/Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez sued MLB and the players’ association in January in an effort to overturn a season-long suspension, then dropped the lawsuit this month.

Union head Tony Clark said Monday the players’ association has no issues going forward with suspended Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Rodriguez sued MLB and the players’ association in January in an effort to overturn a season-long suspension, then dropped the lawsuit this month.

Continue reading below

‘‘The page has been turned,’’ Clark said after holding the union’s annual spring training meeting with Yankees players in Tampa. ‘‘I’m comfortable with the process that is in place. A player has an opportunity to go through the process as one of the players did. Others decided not to go through the process.’’

Rodriguez will be 39 when eligible to return next year and has three seasons and $61 million left on his record deal with the Yankees. Clark has not talked with Rodriguez since the litigation against the union was dropped Feb. 7.

Washington gets year

Texas general manager Jon Daniels said that the Rangers have added a year to manager Ron Washington’s contract, now running through 2015. Washington is the team’s winningest manager with 611 victories over seven seasons, and led Texas to its only two World Series appearances.

Meanwhile, Rangers lefthander Matt Harrison is expected to resume throwing this week after an additional MRI and examination on his back showed no issues.

Assistant general manager Thad Levine said that the report was about as good as the team could have gotten.

Harrison was scratched from two throwing sessions last week after experiencing stiffness in his neck and back. He then returned to Texas to visit the doctor who last year did two operations for a herniated disk in his lower back.

Harrison is unlikely to be ready for Opening Day.

Davis hid injury

Mets first baseman Ike Davis admitted he concealed a nagging oblique strain from the team last year but claims the injury wasn’t a factor in his poor performance. Davis confirmed a story that first appeared Sunday on the New York Post’s website.

‘‘It’s just an overblown thing. Everyone has injuries and then they get hurt. So it was pointless to write an article,’’ Davis said. ‘‘I sucked last year because I sucked. It’s not because I had an injury. You always have injuries. And now it just looks bad.”

Davis hit a career-low .205 with nine homers and 33 RBIs last year.

Cruz officially signed

Outfielder Nelson Cruz and Baltimore finalized an $8 million, one-year contract, putting him on track to become the team’s regular designated hitter. Cruz, 33, who served a 50-game suspension last year for violating baseball’s drug agreement, can earn an additional $750,000 based on days spent on the active 25-man roster. Cruz hit .266 last season with 27 homers and 76 RBIs in 109 games . . . Washington setup man Tyler Clippard returned after not throwing for five days because of tightness in his back, but bullpen hopeful Ryan Mattheus is scheduled for an MRI on his chest after experiencing discomfort . . . Barney Nugent, a Chelsea native and former athletic trainer for the San Francisco Giants, died Saturday in Massachusetts after a short battle with cancer. He was 61. Nugent was the Giants’ trainer from 1993-2003 — during much of the home run chase by slugger Barry Bonds. Nugent had previously worked in the Red Sox organization.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.