Some lasting impressions from the United States’ 2-1 loss to Belgium on Tuesday in the second round of the World Cup:
1. Belgium dominated the US (38 shots to US’s 14) but the Americans could have won the game.
2. US goalie Tim Howard. 16 saves. No other words needed.
3. Few can now question if coach Jurgen Klinsmann is the right man to lead the US. His then-questionable selections – DeAndre Yedlin, John Brooks, Julian Green – all came up huge in this tournament. The youth are coming.
4. Belgium deserved to win. But the US never stopped fighting, crawling.
5. Overall: The US survived the Group of Death and played valiantly against a dark horse pick to win it all to almost advance to the quarterfinals. For that they deserve tremendous credit. They could be better in four years, but this team was hard not to love if you were a US fan.
Follow Rob Harms on Twitter at @harms_way.