fb-pixel Skip to main content

INDIANAPOLIS — Carl Edwards’s 11-year run with Roush-Fenway Racing will end after this NASCAR season.

RFR confirmed the decision Sunday, a move that had been long expected but could not be substantiated because Edwards refuses to publicly discuss contract negotiations. He’s believed to be headed to Joe Gibbs Racing in a new fourth car, but his contract does not permit him to announce his plans until September.

Matt Kenseth was bound by the same clause when he left RFR at the end of 2012 and had to wait months to announce he was moving to Gibbs.

Edwards, speaking two hours before the start of the Brickyard 400, said he has a completed deal with another team but is not ready to talk about it. He also limited his time discussing his departure from RFR because the start of the race was approaching.

Advertisement



‘‘Right now, the mission is to win this championship, this race,’’ said Edwards, who finished 15th in the Brickyard 400. ‘‘This is my decision, it’s a decision I made and I didn’t take it lightly. Sometimes you just want to make a change, and opportunities present themselves and you say, ‘Hey, what was that like to not take that opportunity?’ ’’

Edwards has been with RFR since 2003 and in the No. 99 Ford in the Cup Series since 2004. He has 67 career victories in NASCAR’s three national series.

Edwards’s results have not been anywhere close to what he had hoped after losing the 2011 championship on a tiebreaker to Tony Stewart.

Edwards went winless in 2012, his first year of a three-year contract extension with RFR, and missed the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship. Although he won two races last season, he finished last in the 13-driver Chase field.

RFR disclosed its three-driver 2015 lineup: Greg Biffle and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will return, and Trevor Bayne will move up from the Nationwide Series.

Advertisement