fb-pixel Skip to main content
red sox notebook

Xander Bogaerts MRI is clean, may return Wednesday

Xander Bogaerts is 13 of 30 with seven RBIs through seven games.Getty Images

Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts, the team’s best hitter so far, did not play in Tuesday night’s 8-7 victory against the Washington Nationals because of a sore right knee.

He was sent to Massachusetts General Hospital for an MRI that came back clean. Bogaerts could return to the lineup Wednesday.

Bogaerts was injured while running the bases on Monday. He slipped after rounding third base and being held up in the sixth inning.

“He continued on in the game with no issue, no complaint, no word of anything. Even after the game didn’t feel anything,” manager John Farrell said. “Came in [Tuesday] with some increased symptoms.”

Advertisement



Bogaerts is 13 of 30 with seven RBIs. Brock Holt started at shortstop in his place and was 2 for 4 with an RBI.

The MRI result was a relief for the Sox. While Holt is capable of filling in, he is more of a second baseman. The Red Sox do not have another shortstop on the 40-man roster. Deven Marrero, a former first-round pick, is a gifted defender but has hit .220 with a .578 OPS in 54 games at Triple A.

Hanley Ramirez has been primarily a shortstop in his career. But the left fielder has not worked out at short since signing with the Red Sox and most evaluators believe his shortstop days have passed.

Bogaerts was not available for comment.

Third baseman Pablo Sandoval, another hot hitter, left Tuesday’s game in the sixth inning with a bruised left foot, the result of being hit by a pitch in the third inning.

A scan was negative and he is day to day.

Castillo injured again

Triple A outfielder Rusney Castillo was at Fenway Park to receive treatment on his right shoulder. He was injured while making a diving catch for Pawtucket on Saturday and had an MRI in Boston on Monday.

Advertisement



“He’s got some inflammation in the right shoulder. The MRI has revealed no structural issues,” Farrell said. “It’s going to be a little bit of time for rest and rehab. What length of time remains to be seen.

“That’s not to suggest this is a long-term thing. He’s going to need a little time to get back to 100 percent.”

Castillo, 27, was signed to a seven-year, $72.5 million deal in August and has played only 10 major league games.

The Sox planned to have Castillo get extensive experience in winter ball but a thumb injury limited him to 18 games.

Castillo played only nine games in spring training because of a strained oblique on his left side.

Then he lasted three games with Pawtucket before the shoulder injury.

“You’re talking about at-bats missed any time a player isn’t on the field,” Farrell said. “He’s an aggressive player, we see the movements. It’s an explosive type of player.

“I can’t speak to his body type and does that predispose him to a greater risk of injury. He went and he dove for a ball and unfortunately he has to take some time down right now.”

Farrell did not clarify what “a little bit of time” meant before Castillo could return.

“He’ll be on the field when he’s ready,” the manager said. “I’m not trying to give you a short answer. I just don’t know how long that will be.”

Castillo, for now, will get treatment in Boston. He was not made available to reporters.

Advertisement



Concern for Workman

Brandon Workman, who was optioned to Triple A Pawtucket on April 3, had that transaction reversed when it was discovered he strained his elbow while still on the major league roster.

Workman is now on the major league disabled list.

“The soreness emerged after his final outing in spring training with us,” Farrell said. “He attempted to throw a bullpen after he was optioned and there was discomfort there.”

Workman, 26, was in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Tuesday getting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews. As of Tuesday night, results were not available.

“Any time someone goes to get a second opinion with Dr. Andrews, there’s concern,” Farrell said. “To what extent there’s damage or injury remains to be seen and what the follow-up treatment is going to result remains to be seen also.”

Workman was a key member of the bullpen in 2013 and appeared in seven postseason games. He has not pitched well since and has shown a decrease in velocity.

Workman was tried as a starter last season and was 1-10 with a 5.17 earned run average.

Workman averaged 91.8 mph on his fastball in 2013 and topped out at 96.1. His average dipped to 90.2 last season with a max of 94.9.

Remembering Bresciani

The Red Sox named the Fenway Park press box for Dick Bresciani, who died in November after a 42-year career with the team in public relations.

Bresciani’s widow, Joanne, helped unveil two signs that identified the “Bresh Box.”

Advertisement



Red Sox radio voice Joe Castiglione, a close friend, spoke about what Bresciani meant to the team.

Team president Larry Lucchino attended the ceremony along with a large group of team employees and friends of Bresciani. Former Red Sox CEO John Harrington was among those in attendance as was Mary Jane Ryan, Bresciani’s longtime assistant.

Nice souvenir

Ryan Hanigan said his nephew, 11-year-old Tanner O’Sullivan of Andover, caught the home run David Ortiz hit in the sixth inning Monday. The proud uncle was showing off a photo of the event he had saved on his phone. “He made it look easy, too,” said Hanigan, who played his first game as a member of the Red Sox at Fenway on Tuesday . . . When the Red Sox signed Pete Frates to a contract on Monday, it was an official Uniform Player Contract for minor leaguers and came with the approval of Major League Baseball. The Sox’ baseball operations staff handled the details. Frates, the former Boston College captain, was honored for his fund-raising efforts while fighting ALS . . . According to Elias Sports, the only players with four or more RBIs in a home opener for the Red Sox in the last 50 years are Mookie Betts (on Monday), Manny Ramirez (2001), and Carlton Fisk (1973) . . . The family of the late Tony Conigliaro presented Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos with the Tony Conigliaro Award before the game. The award is given to an MLB player who shows courage. Ramos was kidnapped in Venezuela in 2011 and survived a two-day ordeal that ended with a shootout.

Advertisement