HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL
Martha’s Vineyard Regional High School dressed 14 varsity football players for its ninth game of the season Friday night against visiting Greater New Bedford Vocational.
The ninth game, a 14-0 MV victory fueled by the arm (56-yard TD pass) and legs (49-yard scoring run) of Zach Moreis, will be the last of the 2017 season.
Martha’s Vineyard has canceled its final two games, including its annual Island Bowl against Nantucket scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 25.
“This decision was not made lightly,” said Martha’s Vineyard athletic director Mark McCarthy.
“It’s something that has been on the table for several weeks now. Our biggest concern is the safety of our kids.”
Martha’s Vineyard (2-7) has struggled on the field this season — its only win came via forfeit over Atlantis Charter, a first-year program.
The Vineyarders’ program has been declining in numbers sharply since 2009, reaching its breaking point this season.
MV started the season with 36 players on the varsity roster, but now, just 14 are healthy. Six to seven freshmen were added to Friday’s roster.
Injuries have been mounting. But violations of team rules have also contributed to the low numbers. Several players facing two-game suspensions have chosen to leave the program instead. Others have departed for personal reasons.
The past two seasons have been difficult since the retirement of 28-year coach Don Herman, who led the program to eight Super Bowls, winning five. Steve McCarthy coached the Vineyarders to a 1-9 mark in 2016, but left for personal reasons. Ryan Kent, a four-year player at Bellingham High who played collegiately at Wagner, was hired as head coach after serving as line coach last fall.
“Ryan walked into a tough situation,” said Mark McCarthy. “Our numbers were already declining. Ryan is a young coach whose focus is on making our program viable once again.”
McCarthy, however, believes the community and the school football program will overcome this adversity.
“As an island community, we need to focus on what we can do to promote and gain participation at the youth and high school level,” he said. “A healthy youth program helps contribute to a healthy high school one. I’m hopeful we can make a comeback.”
Ronnie Lippett’s application for assistance under the NFL’s $1 billion concussion settlement has been denied, as have 179 others filed through March 13 by retired NFL players.Continue reading »
Two stars of the 1967 Red Sox are in favor of keeping the name “Yawkey Way” on the street in front of Fenway Park.Continue reading »
Kirk Cousins’s contract sets a new bar for Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan, who are looking for extensions.Continue reading »
Here is a look at the market for pitchers.Continue reading »
Vaccaro makes a point, that Silver is probably the lone person who can make this situation better because the NCAA has no idea what to do.Continue reading »
Here are some thoughts on NFL free agency, the Red Sox infield, and other timely sports topics . . .Continue reading »
Police say former Celtic Glen “Big Baby” Davis was arrested in a Maryland hotel last month on drug possession and distribution charges.Continue reading »
Chicago’s success, its payment for such results, and the subsequent selling of pieces has caught up to the franchise.Continue reading »
Wright threw three innings of live batting practice to Red Sox minor leaguers on Saturday morning.Continue reading »