High schools
    Next Score View the next score


    Andrew Miller sends Waltham past Belmont in overtime

    Lowell, MA: 3/8/2018: Waltham's Connor Blanchard (5.left) beats Belmont goalie Kevin Dacey for a third period goal. Belmont's Kilian O'Connell is in the middle. Belmont took on Waltham in the Division One North high school hockey semi-finals at the Tsongas Arena. (Jim Davis/Globe Staff)
    jim davis/globe staff
    Waltham's Connor Blanchard (left) beats Belmont goalie Kevin Dacey for a third-period goal in the Division 1 North semiinals.

    LOWELL — With 3:12 remaining in overtime, Waltham senior forward Andrew Miller lifted the Hawks to a 3-2 win over Belmont in the Division 1 North semifinals at the Tsongas Center Thursday night.

    Fourth-ranked Waltham (16-5-2) advances to Wednesday’s North final against Winchester at the Tsongas Center at 7:30.

    Miller drifted into the open slot area on the four-on-four and found a loose puck that he slid under Kevin Dacey’s left pad for the winner.


    “It’s just all a blur right now,” said Miller. “I just remember putting it in the back of the net and everyone coming at me. I had no idea the puck went into the back of the net.”

    Get Varsity News in your inbox:
    Your weekly look at the top high school sports stories.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    With 16.7 seconds remaining in the second period, the eighth-ranked Marauders (12-7-5) took a 1-0 lead as senior captain Connor Dacey rifled a shot from the slot off senior Stevie Rizzuto’s feed to beat Waltham senior goalie Kyle Penton (20 saves) top-shelf.

    In the third period, Waltham senior Luc Dallaire scored from the left circle off a laser wrist shot that beat Dacey (39 saves) glove side at 7:05.

    At 9:07, Belmont regained the lead at 2-1 as Dacey tapped a rebound under Penton’s left pad.

    “We knew it was going to be low scoring,” said Waltham coach John Maguire. “They certainly made a great effort in terms of staying with it, didn’t panic.


    “It was a great high school hockey game. Two public school teams going up and down and two super goalies, two of the better goalies around.”

    At 11:17, Waltham evened the score at 2-2 as sophomore Connor Blanchard lifted a loose puck past Dacey from sophomore Nic Dallaire and Brian Pescatore.

    “We’ve got a good coach,” said Miller. “He knows what he’s doing. He’s been there before. We’re just following him and riding him the whole way out.”

    Division 1 North

    Winchester 1, Newburyport 0 — Freshman Robert Di Vincenzo’s 10-save shutout performance led the seventh-seeded Sachems (15-7-2) to an upset win over the third-seeded Clippers (13-4-6) in the semifinals at the Tsongas Center. ‘‘The team played well,’’ said Di Vincenzo. ‘‘We got shots to the net. Defense played well. We didn’t give them too many opportunities. I didn’t see too many shots.’’ The Sachems surrendered one shot in the first period and took a 1-0 lead 47 seconds in when Ryan McCarthy found space in the slot and directed the puck past Ken Hodge (17 saves). Winchester allowed only four shots in the second and third periods. ‘‘We played good defensive hockey,’’ said Winchester coach Bill Burns.

    Division 1 South

    Braintree 3, Xaverian 2 — Down, 2-0, entering the third period in Bourne, the Wamps (11-6-6) rallied with three consecutive goals to advance to their third sectional final in five years. Seniors Shawn Leslie, Dara Canavan, and junior Aidan Flynn all scored for Braintree. ‘‘They’re never say die kids,’’ said Braintree coach Dave Fasano. ‘‘They haven’t stopped all year.’’ The Wamps survived a late onslaught from Xaverian (11-7-5) and face Marshfield in the sectional final Sunday at Gallo Arena.

    Braintree celebrates its win over Xaverian
    Lenny Rowe for the Globe
    Braintree celebrates its win over Xaverian.


    Marshfield 3, Needham 2 — Just a minute into the game, junior James Kolar opened the scoring for the Rams (14-5-6) in Bourne. Marshfield junior Kevin Buckley followed up with a long-range snipe late in the second period. The Rockets (12-8-3) responded with a goal by freshman Jack Kamke with seconds left in the period, but sophomore Max Burum had the dagger for the Rams with a heavy shot just outside the Needham crease late in the third period.

    Division 2 South

    Plymouth South 5, Canton 3 — Joey Van Winkle scored the go-ahead goal with 1:39 left in regulation to drive the Panthers (18-3-2) to the South final in Bourne. Senior Jake Worrick and sophomore Nicholas Gregg scored in the first 40 seconds, triggering a three-goal first period for Plymouth South. Daniel Lincoln completed the charge with a shorthanded goal at 8:02. Canton (17-3-4) responded, with sophomores Chris Lavoie and John Hagan connecting in the second period. With an extra attacker on, Hagan netted the equalizer with 1:53 remaining in the third. But 14 seconds later, Van Winkle answered with a quick wrister. Freshman Matt Smith hit the empty-netter for the Panthers, who will face the Medfield-Taunton winner in Sunday’s final at Gallo.

    Lenny Rowe contributed to this report from Bourne.