
FRANKLIN — The Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association took one step Wednesday, and acknowledged another far-reaching revision regarding golf, both addressing gender equality issues and Title IX compliance, with its 377 member schools.
Acting on the recommendation of its Blue Ribbon Committee, the MIAA’s Board of Directors voted animously to change policy regarding tournament qualification for mixed-gender teams, specifically field hockey and girls’ volleyball.
Placement in the Division 1 and Division 2 field hockey tourneys — along with D1, D2, and D3 girls’ volleyball — have been based since the late 1990s on female enrollment at the respective schools, unless there is a male(s) on the team. Then the combined boys’/girls’ enrollment is calculated, resulting in a small number of programs moving up a division.
Advertisement
Going forward, only the girls’ enrollment at a school will be calculated.
The Blue Ribbon Committee felt the old policy was “antiquated.”
“We are penalizing the boys and the girls on the team just based on the gender factor,” said Sherry Bryant, an MIAA associate director who serves on the committee.
“Initially, the policy may have served as a deterrent for boys playing on a girls’ team, and field hockey in particular, with coaches asking boys, ‘Do you really want to play [because it will bump us up]?’ That thinking does not exist in this day and age,” she said.
In 2017, 12 mixed-gender field hockey teams qualified for the tournament and none would have been impacted by the policy change, according to Bryant. The MIAA’s Field Hockey Committee felt the change will be inconsequential, though boys playing field hockey is not inconsequential.
In golf, the MIAA examined and attempted to correct a wrong from last October’s Division 3 Central boys’ golf tournament, in which Lunenburg junior Emily Nash recorded the lowest score (75) at Blissful Meadows GC but was not awarded the medalist trophy, which went to a boy who shot a 79.
Advertisement
As of Wednesday, the words “boys” and “individual golf” were removed from Rules 43.2.1 and 43.2.1.2 in the MIAA Handbook regarding “Boys’ and Girls’ on the Same Team.” And in the MIAA’s Tournament Format for golf, the postseason is listed as “2018 Fall Golf Championship,” with no reference to gender.
Girls playing golf in the fall (on boys’ teams) are now eligible to compete for, and win, individual titles, as well as qualify and compete for sectional and state titles in the spring, traditionally the girls’ season.
One unresolved question that will likely play out in the spring is whether a boy will make a bid to play in the MIAA sectional tournaments, up to this point eligible only to girls.
“There will be a dramatic change to Rule 43,” said Bryant. “A total rewrite will be done [by the Blue Ribbon Committee], but this was something we could address right now.”
. . .
One day after his plea for an injunction was denied by Essex Superior Court Judge Elizabeth Fahey, Anthony Nalen said he will no longer seek reinstatement as the varsity football coach at Saugus High. The second-year coach, who had been suspended since Aug. 30 and terminated on Friday, said he will focus his effort toward multiple claims he will bring against the school administration . . . Masconomet Regional will forfeit Saturday’s Cape Ann League Kinney Division football game at Pentucket Regional. “It’s a coach’s decision, fully supported by the school adminstration and the District. This is a student discipline matter,” said Masconomet superintendent Kevin Lyons.
Advertisement