Here is a day-by-day look at the sequence of events in the Ryan Lochte case:
Sunday, Aug. 14
■ Ryan Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger, and Jimmy Feigen went to a party at Club France and left around 4 a.m., according to reports.
■ But according to Extra, a Rio newspaper, video cameras showed the swimmers leaving at 5:50 a.m. (They arrived at the Olympic Village at 6:56 a.m.)
■ On the way back to the Olympic Village in a taxi, Lochte said men dressed as police pulled them over and robbed them at gunpoint.
■ The group did not call police, authorities later said.
■ Fox Sports Australia’s Ben Way then reported that Lochte’s mother, Ileana Lochte, said her son informed her what happened via text message.
■ Mark Adams, the International Olympic Committee’s director of communications, told reporters the story was not true.
■ Then Lochte’s mother told USA Today it was true.
■ Then David Marsh, Lochte’s personal coach and the head coach of the US women’s swim team, reportedly texted USA Today and said it wasn’t true.
■ Lochte himself then told NBC the reports were true and that three other US swimmers were also robbed.
■ Then US Olympic Committee spokesperson Patrick Sandusky issued a statement confirming the incident.
■ Officers began investigating once they saw media reports in which Lochte’s mother spoke about the robbery.
■ Police interviewed Lochte and one other swimmer, who said they had been intoxicated and could not remember what type and color of taxi they rode in or where the robbery happened, the police official said. The swimmers also could not say what time the events occurred.
Related: Ryan Lochte says he was robbed at gunpoint
Monday, Aug. 15
■ The spokesman for the Rio Games organizing committee apologized to Lochte and the other three US swimmers over the alleged robbery.
Tuesday, Aug. 16
■ Police investigating the reports said so far they have found no evidence supporting the account. They say the swimmers were unable to provide key details in police interviews.
■ A police official told the Associated Press investigators have not found their taxi driver or witnesses.
■ Lochte’s attorney said there was no question the robbery happened and that Lochte hired 24-hour security after the incident.
■ Lochte left Brazil, his father Steve said on Wednesday. The 32-year-old swimmer was going to pick up his car and buy a new wallet to replace the one he said was stolen in the robbery. Steve Lochte said he was sure Ryan had his passport or he would not have been allowed to board a plane.
■ Feigen’s whereabouts could not immediately be confirmed, though he told the San Antonio Express-News on Wednesday he was still in Brazil.
Related: Police can’t corroborate Lochte’s robbery claim
Wednesday, Aug. 17
■ A Brazilian judge ordered that Lochte and Feigen stay in Brazil as authorities investigate their claim they were robbed during the Olympics. The office of Judge Keyla Blank confirmed an order to seize their passports was issued.
■ The US Olympic Committee said police went to the athletes village to try to collect the passports, but the swim team had already moved out.
■ The US State Department issued a statement encouraging those involved to cooperate with Brazilian law enforcement.
■ A USA Swimming spokesman said he couldn’t comment on athlete whereabouts because of security concerns.
■ US swimmers Conger and Bentz were removed from their flight to the US by Brazilian authorities.
Related: Rio judge casts doubt on swimmers’ claim
Thursday, Aug. 18
■Conger and Bentz were released by authorities, but were not allowed to leave Brazil until they testify before investigators.
■ A Brazil police official said Lochte fabricated his robbery claim and that US Olympic swimmers were involved in a rowdy gas station confrontation.
■ Brazil’s Civil Police Chief Fernando Veloso said Lochte and the other swimmers could face charges for false communication of crime and damaging the gas station.
■ An official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing told The Associated Press that two security guards did point guns at the swimmers during the incident.
■ Conger and Bentz told authorities that the story of the robbery had been fabricated.
■ Conger and Bentz flew out of Brazil late Thursday after a judge lifted the order seizing their passports and keeping them in the country. They had testified about the incident earlier in the day, and Brazilians chanted ‘‘liar’’ as they left the police building.
■ The USOC issued a statement on the controversy, saying “On behalf of the United States Olympic Committee, we apologize to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence.”
Related: Brazil police say Lochte made up robbery claim
Friday, Aug. 19
■ A lawyer for Feigen said early Friday that the athlete had reached an agreement with a judge in which he planned to donate 35,000 Brazilian reals ($10,800) to an ‘‘institution’’ and leave the country later in the day.
■ Lochte apologized for the controversy he created at the Rio Olympics, posting a 283-word statement to both Instagram and Twitter.
Related: Lochte posts apology for Rio controversy
Globe correspondent Emily McCarthy contributed to this report. Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.