The Washington Redskins claimed Reuben Foster off waivers Tuesday after the San Francisco 49ers released the linebacker following a domestic violence arrest, though it’s unclear if or when he'll suit up for them.
The team announced the move in a statement from senior vice president of player personnel Doug Williams acknowledging the circumstances surrounding Foster.
‘‘The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben,’’ Williams said. ‘‘If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone.
‘‘Let me be clear, Reuben will have to go through numerous steps including the full legal process, an investigation and potential discipline from the NFL, as well as meetings with counselors associated with the team before he will ever have the opportunity to wear the burgundy and gold as a player.’’
The NFL put Foster on the Commissioner Exempt list, and he can’t practice or attend games while the league continues to review his situation. It was not immediately clear if or when Foster would report to the team’s facility, where he is allowed to be for meetings, individual workouts, therapy and rehabilitation, and other non-football activities.
The team says conversations with former Alabama teammates led to the decision to claim the 24-year-old Foster. There are seven other Alabama products on the team.
‘‘Nothing is promised to Reuben, but we are hopeful being around so many of his former teammates and friends will eventually provide him with the best possible environment to succeed both personally and professionally,’’ Williams said.
It was not immediately clear if or when Foster would report to the team’s facility. Foster was arrested Saturday night for an incident at the 49ers’ team hotel in Tampa, and he was released the next morning before their game against the Buccaneers.
Reports emerged later Sunday that police had been called on Oct. 12 for another incident between Foster and the woman in Santa Clara.
The 49ers claimed they had a zero-tolerance policy this season with Foster, who also was arrested on a domestic violence charge last spring involving the woman.
Foster is the latest player with off-field issues the Redskins have taken a chance on.
They signed linebacker Junior Galette in 2016 after the Saints released him following a domestic violence arrest. The charge was later dismissed.
This past summer they signed running back Adrian Peterson, who in 2014 pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor reckless assault charge after being indicted for felony reckless or negligent injury to a child.
The 49ers looked past red flags with Foster leading up to the 2017 draft, including a failed drug test at the combine, and took him with the 31st pick in the first round. Though domestic violence charges were dropped against him last spring, Foster served a two-game suspension to begin this season for his arrest on a gun charge and for misdemeanor marijuana possession.
San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan, who was Washington’s offensive coordinator from 2010-2013, said the 49ers had someone checking in on Foster often, doing everything the team could do short of having someone live with him.
‘‘There were things that we believed we could help him with,’’ Shanahan said. ‘‘We worked on him since he’s been here . . . We thought he would improve and we were gonna do everything we could to help him. And Reuben did improve in some things.
‘‘But for that to come up . . . and what happened Saturday with the same [person] at a team hotel, it’s just hard to comprehend how you could put yourself in that situation again.’’
Colts in a tight spot
One week after Indianapolis starting center Ryan Kelly went down with a left knee injury and one day after coach Frank Reich announced tight end Jack Doyle would miss the rest of the season with an injured kidney, Luck and his teammates started preparing for the closing five-game stretch that will determine whether the Colts (6-5) end a three-year playoff drought.
Doyle was injured late in the third quarter or early in the fourth, returned for two plays before leaving for good and then wound up in the hospital Sunday night for what Reich called a ‘‘procedure.’’
The team provided no immediate update on whether Doyle had been released from the hospital during Tuesday’s availability.
The adaptations start with Eric Ebron, the lone remaining healthy tight end among the five listed on last week’s depth chart. He’s already caught 11 touchdown passes this season, matching his previous four-year total and tying Dallas Clark’s single-season franchise record by a tight end and has played the way Detroit envisioned when it made Ebron a first-round draft pick in 2014.
It’s unclear whether Mo Alie-Cox, Ryan Hewitt, or Erik Swoope could return from injuries this week. All three were inactive last weekend, and Reich’s offense has benefitted from creating mismatches among the tight ends.
Hemingway next up in Denver
Temarrick Hemingway is the latest tight end to get his shot with the Broncos, who have lost three tight ends to season-ending injuries. The Broncos (5-6), who visit the Bengals (5-6) this weekend, promoted Hemingway from their practice squad when they placed Jeff Heuerman on injured reserve. Heuerman broke three ribs and bruised a lung in the Broncos’ 24-17 win over the Steelers on Sunday. Heuerman was in the midst of a breakout season, posting career highs in catches (31) and yards (281) while scoring twice in his fourth NFL season. He’s set to become a free agent after this season. Heuerman joined fellow tight ends Jake Butt and Troy Fumagalli on IR. Butt blew out his left knee in a special teams practice in September and Fumagalli has missed all season with a sports hernia . . . Coach Mike Tomlin said tight end Vance McDonald has a hip issue while Xavier Grimble is in the concussion protocol as the Steelers (7-3-1) prepare for a visit from the Chargers (8-3) . . . The Bills shuffled punters by signing Matt Darr and releasing Colton Schmidt for the second time in three months. Darr has not played since spending the 2015 and ’16 seasons with the Dolphins. He averaged 47.6 yards per punt in 2015, and was selected to the all-rookie team. Schmidt struggled during three games in which he averaged 42.3 yards per punt, and was particularly inconsistent in a 24-21 win against Jacksonville last weekend. Schmidt spent the previous four seasons with the Bills before being released after Buffalo claimed rookie Corey Bojorquez off waivers in September. The Bills re-signed Schmidt last month after Bojorquez hurt his shoulder and was placed on injured reserve . . . The Vikings placed safety Andrew Sendejo on injured reserve, ending his season after a groin injury limited him to only five games. The 31-year-old Sendejo, the fourth-longest tenured player on the team, latched on with the Vikings in 2011 as a special teams player and has started 58 games over the past six seasons. The Vikings also promoted undrafted rookie cornerback Craig James from the practice squad to the active roster.