MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — Patriots wide receiver Antonio Brown chose not to sign a settlement agreement of approximately $2 million with his accuser because he wants to fight the claims and clear his name, a league source told the Globe on Sunday night.
Brown also was not aware that last Sunday was a hard deadline, as there have been several other offers and deadlines throughout the months of negotiation.
Brown did not know the civil lawsuit would be coming last week, and he found out about it on Twitter via an article from the New York Times.
The alleged sexual assaults happened two years ago, and Brown and Britney Taylor, his former trainer, have been in confidential settlement talks since April, a league source confirmed.
The latest round of talks ended with an offer of around $2 million for Taylor to end the claims against Brown, with a deadline of last Sunday night. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday.
Brown’s attorney, Darren Heitner, and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, have vehemently denied all accusations and said Brown will cooperate with any NFL investigation.
Brown caught four passes for 56 yards in the Patriots’ 43-0 rout of the Dolphins on Sunday, but he did not make himself available to comment following the game, violating NFL protocol by leaving the Patriots’ locker room before it opened to the media.
Patriots publicist Stacey James told reporters after the game Brown would answer questions, but Brown had quickly vanished, the nameplate above his locker removed.