fb-pixel Skip to main content
RED SOX NOTEBOOK

Red Sox’ Steven Wright contemplating knee surgery

Steven Wright was placed on the disabled list on Monday.
Steven Wright was placed on the disabled list on Monday.FILE/MADDIE MEYER/GETTY IMAGES

Red Sox righthander Steven Wright, an All-Star last year, is contemplating surgery on his left knee. If extensive enough, the procedure could end his season.

Wright was placed on the disabled list on Monday and has since received a second opinion on his knee. Wright, his agent, and the Sox are reviewing options.

“Surgery is not ruled out,” manager John Farrell said before Wednesday night’s game against Baltimore. “What is elected to be done going forward is still up to Steven.”

Farrell said his understanding is that Wright has several surgical options to consider.

“You may be looking at different recovery rates or timelines,” the manager said. “That’s why there’s a lot being worked through right now.”

Advertisement



Wright was 13-5 with a 3.01 earned run average through 22 starts last season.

He injured his right shoulder while pinch running two days later and is 1-4 with an 8.21 ERA in seven starts since. The knee injury occurred in spring training and led to Wright being fitted for a brace.

He got through five starts this season before being shut down. He was 1-3 with an 8.25 ERA.

Righthander Kyle Kendrick will be added to the roster on Thursday to start for Wright.

The 32-year-old Kendrick last pitched in a major league game on Oct. 2, 2015. The Red Sox signed him to a minor league deal before the season and he had a 2.18 ERA in eight spring training games.

With Triple A Pawtucket, Kendrick had a 6.00 ERA but in his last two starts allowed three earned runs over 14 innings.

“The last two were great. I got settled in being there, got back to being what I was in spring training,” Kendrick said.

Kendrick has nine seasons of major league experience and 81 victories. But he had a 5.11 ERA in 89 starts from 2013-15.

Advertisement



“The key for him is going to be pitching down in the bottom of the zone,” Farrell said. “How he works ahead in the count and location for Kyle, much like any pitcher who takes the mound, is going to be key.

“We feel like there’s a certain level of dependability with Kyle, a known commodity. He was the choice made.”

Hernandez injured

Third baseman Marco Hernandez left the game in the top of the first inning when his left shoulder popped out of place. He is likely to land on the disabled list, as the Sox will need a roster move to activate Kendrick.

“It’s happened before but this was the worst time,” Hernandez said. “It came out and I put it back in on the field. It’s sore.”

Hernandez has hit .276 in 21 games and since April 25 has been the primary third baseman with Pablo Sandoval on the disabled list. Hernandez has six errors including one on the play when he was injured.

Sandoval, who out with a sprained right knee, has picked up the pace with his rehab but is not close to baseball activities.

Josh Rutledge replaced Hernandez and was 1 for 4 with two RBIs. Chase d’Arnaud also can play the position.

Holt to try again

Brock Holt, who had his minor league rehabilitation assignment halted on Monday, will try to play again on Saturday. He is likely to be with Double A Portland.

Holt is on the disabled list recovering from vertigo and has not played a major league game since April 20. He played in three minor league games last week, going 2 for 9.

Advertisement



Because Holt has a history of concussions, the Red Sox have consulted with Dr. Michael Collins, a head trauma specialist who previously treated the utility player. He agreed with the idea of Holt trying to play again.

Break for Bradley

Jackie Bradley Jr. was out of the lineup as Andrew Benintendi shifted to center field and Chris Young started in left. Bradley was 0 for 3 on Tuesday, extending his slump to 2 for 28. “There’s been some hard contact mixed in with some other at-bats that have been a little overaggressive,” Farrell said. “Jackie’s an aggressive hitter, we know that.” . . . Andris Nelsons, the music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, threw out the first pitch and fired it over the head of the catcher . . . In other cultural news, actor Christopher McDonald was at the game. He played Shooter McGavin in “Happy Gilmore.” . . . Minor league righthander Kevin Steen, who was seriously injured in a car accident last week, is in stable condition in a Fort Myers, Fla., hospital while recovering from multiple surgeries to his legs. As of now, there are no additional surgeries planned.


Peter Abraham can be reached at pabraham@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @PeteAbe.