The Red Sox were furious with way Orioles handled rained-out game
BALTIMORE — The Red Sox, and David Price in particular, left Camden Yards furious on Wednesday night, feeling the Baltimore Orioles had wronged them.
“[Expletive] yeah I’m pissed,” Price said as he left the clubhouse having pitched only one inning before the game was called by rain.
The Red Sox and Price had a 5-0 lead when the game was called. But because the game was only in the second inning, it will be replayed in its entirety as part of a doubleheader on Aug. 11.
Home runs by Andrew Benintendi, Mookie Betts, and J.D. Martinez were wiped out. Price threw a 10-pitch first inning, striking out two.
“I feel for the team, actually. I don’t care about the home runs,” Sox manager Alex Cora said. “We have a 5-0 lead and we have one of the horses on our mound. It’s not that it’s a guaranteed win, but we know where we’re at and every game matters.”
The game started at 7:08 p.m. After only 24 minutes, torrential rain fell. After a delay of two and a half hours, the game was canceled.
The Orioles also mismanaged the first game of the series on Monday. That game started and was delayed after only two batters.
“I’m not happy about it,” Cora said “I’m annoyed about the whole three-game series.”
The decision to start the game was in the hands of the Orioles.
“A lot of times here in the summertime when the sun goes down, the storms will dissipate and go around the ballpark because of the Chesapeake Bay,” Baltimore general manager Dan Duquette said. “Tonight they didn’t. A lot of times that’s what happens.”
Cora was asked what he would have done differently.
“Not start it,” he said.
Once the game started, it was crew chief Fieldin Culbreath who called for the tarp after Betts hit a three-run homer off Dylan Bundy in the second inning.
The decision to then call the game was made collectively with Major League Baseball among those involved.
“There are many people involved in that decision, many people,” Culbreath told a pool reporter. “That is not something we take lightly. A lot of thought goes into that.”
The Red Sox lobbied MLB to wait and play once the rain moved on, which it did at 10:45 p.m.
“Major League Baseball waited to see if the forecast would improve,” Duquette said. “The recent forecast wasn’t an improvement. There was a severe flood watch around the ballpark from 7:45-10:30 p.m.
“I was told the Red Sox wanted to stay and play. They had the lead, why wouldn’t they?”
Now the teams will play a split-admission doubleheader at 1:05 and 7:05 p.m. on Aug. 11.
“It’s tough to accept,” Cora said. “But it is what it is, you know? Get on the plane, go to Boston and we have the Twins coming up.”
Cora said no decision had been made as to when Price would pitch again. His next turn in the rotation is Monday.