Red Sox postpone their trip to White House until May 9
The government shutdown was at least temporarily halted Friday, but not before the Red Sox decided to postpone their trip to the White House.
Instead of Feb. 15, the World Series champions are now scheduled to meet with President Trump on May 9 following a three-game series in Baltimore. The Red Sox are off that day.
Team president Sam Kennedy said last week the Sox were uncomfortable with the idea of a celebration at the White House while so many government employees were out of work or working without pay. After consulting with White House officials and Major League Baseball, the decision was made to shift the visit.
A few hours later, Trump and congressional leaders agreed on a deal to reopen the government for three weeks and hold negotiations on his demand for a wall along the border with Mexico.
The agreement would keep the government open until Feb. 15.
Still undetermined is whether manager Alex Cora will visit the White House. Cora has voiced concern with the Trump administration’s policies toward his native Puerto Rico.
Cora also has said that Trump’s comments about how many Puerto Ricans perished as a result of Hurricane Maria in 2017 were disrespectful.
Several of the Red Sox’ Latin American players have said they will not attend (Rafael Devers), are unlikely to attend (Eduardo Rodriguez), or are undecided (Xander Bogaerts, Eduardo Nunez).
Matt Barnes, Ryan Brasier, Brock Holt, Brian Johnson, Mitch Moreland, Steve Pearce, Rick Porcello, Chris Sale, and Blake Swihart have said they would attend.
White House visits, once traditional, largely nonpartisan events, have been political footballs — or baseballs in this case — during the Trump presidency. Several teams have skipped the trip, and the Philadelphia Eagles had their invitation rescinded after winning the Super Bowl last year.
The NBA champion Golden State Warriors, who were in Washington to play the Wizards on Thursday, visited former President Barack Obama at his office before the game.
The Red Sox Foundation, the Bruins Foundation, and the Celtics Shamrock Foundation made a $75,000 donation to help support Massachusetts Coast Guard service members affected by the shutdown. The Coast Guard was the only branch of the military on duty without pay.
The donation, split equally among the teams, was made to the Massachusetts Military Support Foundation, an organization offering immediate emergency financial assistance to the Coast Guard.