fb-pixel

Red Sox to add catcher Jonathan Lucroy, reportedly still talking with Padres about Wil Myers

Jonathan Lucroy finished the 2019 season with the Cubs.
Jonathan Lucroy finished the 2019 season with the Cubs.Kathy Willens/AP/Associated Press

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Veteran catcher Jonathan Lucroy is scheduled for a physical at JetBlue Park Wednesday, and if that goes well, he will be added to the Red Sox spring training roster on a minor league contract, according to two major league sources.

Lucroy hit .232 with a .660 OPS in 101 games for the Angels and Cubs last season. He has played 10 years in the majors.

Lucroy suffered a concussion and broken nose last July 7 when Houston’s Jake Marisnick lowered a shoulder and ran him over at the plate. Lucroy had neck surgery after the season to repair a disk issue.

Advertisement



Marisnick was suspended two games because of the violent collision.

With Christian Vazquez the established starter, Lucroy would compete with Kevin Plawecki, Jett Bandy, and Juan Centeno for the backup job.

Red Sox interim manager Ron Roenicke declined direct comment.

“I’ll just answer this way on that: Depth is huge,” he said. “Catching depth is huge.”

Lucroy started his career with the Brewers in 2010 and played for Roenicke from 2011-15.

Under Roenicke, Lucroy finished fourth in the National League MVP voting in 2014 after he hit .301 with 53 doubles, 13 home runs, and 69 RBIs while starting 133 games behind the plate.

The Sox may not be done dealing. The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the Padres and Sox are discussing a deal involving outfielder Wil Myers.

Myers, 29, has hit .249 with a .775 OPS in five years with the Padres. He agreed to a back-loaded six-year, $83 million deal before the 2017 season that has $61 million remaining.

The Union-Tribune reported that deal is contingent on the Red Sox taking on $30.5 million of Myers’s remaining salary in return for a pitching prospect or prospects.

What the Red Sox would give up isn’t yet clear.

Advertisement



Tara Sullivan: Could the tumultuous offseason actually wind up uniting the Red Sox?

On the phone

Team president Sam Kennedy and chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom interacted with season ticket-holders via a 33-minute conference call.

The duo took questions in a session moderated by NESN’s Tom Caron. Kennedy opened the call by acknowledging that it has been a “difficult offseason” but asked the fans to have faith in their long-term plans.

Related: Red Sox owners insist Mookie Betts trade was a baseball decision

Bloom said the goal was to have success “for as far out as the eye can see.”

Bloom said the Sox felt they received more for Mookie Betts in the recent trade with the Dodgers than they would have in July. He acknowledged the team would be worse without Betts and David Price but could improve on last season’s record if underachieving players improved.

Both executives insisted that the Sox had not given up on the coming season and were positioned to make improvements to the roster.

“No one is waving the white flag,” Kennedy said.

When asked about the ongoing investigation into the 2018 team for sign stealing, Kennedy said the Red Sox front office properly explained the rules before the season started.

Bard tries again

Former Red Sox pitcher Daniel Bard is trying to make a comeback. The righthander, now 34, threw for scouts last week. The Red Sox were not present but saw video and data from the session. Bard has not pitched in the majors since 2013 and in the minors since 2017 because of wildness. The Cubs, Rangers, Pirates, Cardinals, and Mets gave him chances that did not work out. Bard had been working for the Diamondbacks as a player mentor on their development staff.

Advertisement



Full house

The addition of Lucroy would give the Sox 66 players in uniform. For the first time since JetBlue Park opened in 2012, there aren’t enough lockers in the clubhouse for everybody. Extra ones were brought in and put in a doorway . . . A day after 1,033 fans turned out for the first full-squad workout, only a few hundred came Tuesday . . . Xander Bogaerts (left ankle) and Alex Verdugo (back) have yet to work out on the field.


Peter Abraham can be reached at pabraham@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @PeteAbe.