Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

N.H. report says few victims sought help

CONCORD, N.H. — Most victims killed by domestic violence in New Hampshire did not seek help, even though more than half of the perpetrators had a history of domestic violence.

New Hampshire Attorney General Michael Delaney said Monday that of the 79 domestic violence-related homicide victims during the decade ending in 2010, only 6 percent had sought crisis center services and only two victims had a protective order in place when they died. He noted that 53 percent of the killers had a known history of domestic violence.

Continue reading below

Law enforcement and judicial officials and domestic violence counselors said their goal is to increase public awareness about help available in the state’s 14 domestic violence crisis centers. But they said they are attempting to provide outreach and services in an era of dwindling resources.

Last year, France said, 16,496 people sought domestic violence services, an increase of 3 percent. Also last year, eight of the state’s 22 homicides stemmed from domestic violence.

Rural Sullivan County had the highest number of domestic violence-related homicides per capita, almost twice the state’s average at 1.17 per thousand people.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week