You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Hernandez appears to be holding gun in surveillance images

Aaron Hernandez appears to be holding a pistol in this surveillance image.

Brian Ballou/Globe staff

Aaron Hernandez appears to be holding a pistol in this surveillance image.

ATTLEBORO — Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez, who is charged with murder, appears to be holding a pistol in grainy photographs included among documents from his case that were released Thursday in Attleboro District Court.

The photos were taken from Hernandez’s surveillance video at his North Attleborough home. Prosecutors say they depict the former player not long after the June 17 killing of Odin Lloyd of Dorchester.

Continue reading below

While law enforcement officials have previously said that they had such pictures, Thursday was the first time they were made public.

Several news organizations, including the Globe, filed a motion asking Attleboro District Court judge Daniel O’Shea to lift the impoundment of the arrest and search warrants pertaining to Hernandez and alleged accomplice Ernest Wallace. O’Shea granted the request Wednesday.

In varying angles, a man whom prosecutors identify as Hernandez is shown with what prosecutors say is a firearm in his hand, the black weapon contrasting from Hernandez’s white hoodie.

Hernandez’s lawyers did not return e-mail and telephone requests Thursday seeking comment.

The former Patriot is accused of killing Lloyd at a North Attleborough industrial park not far from Hernandez’s home. Wallace is charged with being an accessory after the fact of murder and has pleaded not guilty to all charges and is being held without bail.

Much of the material in the documents released Thursday had been reported earlier in the investigation.

Prosecutors say Hernandez, Wallace, and a third man, Carlos Ortiz, were in the car with Lloyd as he was driven from Boston to North Attleborough. Ortiz has been charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and is being held without bail.

Investigators believe that Hernandez shot Lloyd because he was worried Lloyd had information about a double homicide in the South End in which Hernandez may have been involved, law enforcement officials have told the Globe.

The Globe reported earlier this week that a Suffolk grand jury is considering charges against Hernandez in the slaying of the two men last July, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation.

Hernandez’s fiancee, Shayanna Jenkins, told police they had installed the surveillance system in their home following a series of housebreaks.

On June 18, investigators executed a search warrant at the home and seized digital video evidence, according to court records. The surveillance system used 14 cameras inside and outside the house.

Video from 12:40 a.m. on June 17 shows Hernandez, Jenkins, and two males enter the house. Interior footage shows Hernandez passing through the living room holding an item that appears to be a handgun. The video shows him shifting the item from hand to hand.

Hernandez and the men leave at 1:12 a.m., in a silver, four-door Nissan Altima. The car returns at 3:30 a.m., with damage to the driver’s side view mirror, according to court records.

The same three men go inside the house. Inside, Hernandez goes in and out of the basement and stands at the entrance to the basement holding what appears to be a gun, according to authorities.

Brian Ballou can be reached
at bballou@globe.com.
Follow him on Twitter at @globeballou.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week