You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

N.J. woman accused of trying to scam One Fund Boston

Iris Gamble

Union County, N.J, prosecutor’s office

Iris Gamble

A New Jersey woman is facing criminal charges in that state in allegedly filing a bogus claim with the charity set up to assist victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, the third person to be accused of fraud based on a phony application.

Iris Gamble, 44, of Linden, N.J., was not in Boston during the April 15 bombings, but submitted a claim to The One Fund Boston in June for injuries she said she suffered in the attack, authorities said Friday. Her application was flagged, however, and she did not receive any money.

Continue reading below

Gamble is charged with third-degree attempted theft by deception, fourth-degree fraud, and fourth-degree creating fraudulent documents, said a statement from the office of Grace H. Park, acting prosecutor of Union County in New Jersey.

A working telephone number for Gamble could not be located, and it was not known if she had hired a lawyer. She is not in custody, and her initial court appearance is scheduled for Aug. 16 in Union County Superior Court.

Officials in New Jersey and Massachusetts said Gamble did not ask for a specific dollar amount in her claim. The fund spotted a number of irregularities and misspellings in her application and alerted Attorney General Martha Coakley’s office, authorities said. Coakley then alerted New Jersey prosecutors.

Authorities in both states said they could not provide information on the irregularities contained in the claim or the types of injuries Gamble said she had suffered. She withdrew her application after it was flagged, according to prosecutors.

“The defendant wasted little time in trying to profit from the generosity and kindness of others,” Park said in a statement.

Christopher Loh, a spokesman for Coakley, was also critical.

“Attempting to steal money from the real victims of the Marathon bombing, and from the people who gave so generously to help them, is unconscionable,” Loh said in a statement. “We will continue our review of all claims made to ensure that the only people who receive money are the true victims of this horrible event.”

In July, a South End man was charged with attempting to defraud the fund of nearly $2.2 million by claiming that an aunt who has been dead for more than a decade lost her leg in the bombing.

Last week, a woman from Troy, N.Y., was arraigned in Boston on charges alleging that she collected $480,000 from the fund after filing a false claim that she suffered a traumatic brain injury in the bombing.

The fund has disbursed nearly $61 million to victims of the bombings, said Amy Weiss, a spokeswoman for its administrator, Kenneth R. Feinberg. Weiss declined to comment on Gamble’s case.

Travis Andersen can be
reached at tandersen@
globe.com
. Follow him on Twitter@TAGlobe.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week