Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Milford boy, 2, dies after swallowing screw

No foul play suspected, police say

A 2-year-old Milford boy died early Wednesday morning after swallowing a screw that had come loose from a piece of furniture, obstructing his airway and causing him to choke, Milford police said.

“The death is a tragic accident,” Police Chief Tom O’Loughlin said in a statement.

Continue reading below

The Worcester district attorney’s office reported the case is being investigated as a nonsuspicious death.

After the toddler’s father called police at about 12:30 a.m., the 2-year-old was taken to Milford Regional Medical Center, police said. He was pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.

State Police and Milford detectives determined the screw had become detached from a piece of furniture in the Water Street home, police said.

“Given that this is a medical call that resulted in a death, we will not be releasing the name of the child or family,” the police statement said.

Globe correspondent Jennifer Smith contributed to this report. Catalina Gaitan can be reached at catalina.gaitan@
globe.com
.

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week