WIXOM, Mich. — A 43-year-old man has been arrested in connection with dozens of shootings across four Michigan counties that resulted in at least one injury, authorities announced Tuesday.
A task force investigating the shootings said the suspect was taken into custody Monday night in Wixom, the Detroit suburb where the shootings began last month.
‘‘The arrest was the result of information derived during the investigation over the past few days,’’ the task force said in a statement.
The man is known to have driven a vehicle matching the description provided by one shooting victim, the task force said, and potential evidence also was seized at the suspect’s home. Additional information about the man was not immediately released, pending review by prosecutors.
A tip — one of close to 3,000 that have come in — led authorities to the man’s home, Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth said.
A man who answered the door Tuesday at the home where police discovered the shooting suspect told an Associated Press reporter he had no comment.
The shootings began Oct. 16 and stretched from Oakland County west to Ingham County. The targets in the 24 reported incidents were mostly cars traveling on roads near Interstate 96. Only a handful of shootings actually occurred on the interstate.
Before Tuesday’s development, clues appeared to be few: slugs and bullet fragments embedded in cars, metal casings on roadways, a simple black-and-white sketch of the shooter — a man believed to be in his late 20s or early 30s — and vague descriptions of the dark car he drove.
The area where the shootings took place is 100 miles long and slices through suburbia, shopping malls, and farm pastures.