Nation

George Zimmerman restrictions to remain

MIAMI — The judge in the Trayvon Martin murder case rejected on Tuesday a request that the defendant, George Zimmerman, be allowed to remove his monitoring device and travel around the state.

As a condition of his bail, Zimmerman, who is charged with second-degree murder, must stay in Seminole County, and can travel to neighboring Orange County only to meet with his lawyer, Mark O’Mara.

Advertisement

In appealing to the judge for fewer restrictions, O’Mara portrayed his client as a man who must strap on a bulletproof vest and don a disguise to step outside his home. Most days, he remains in hiding, O’Mara said.

Martin, an unarmed 17-year-old, was shot and killed in February in Sanford, Fla., after a confrontation with Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who had been following Martin. Zimmerman has said he fired in self-defense after Martin attacked.

Get Ground Game in your inbox:
Daily updates and analysis on national politics from James Pindell.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

In court Tuesday, Bernie de la Rionda, the prosecutor in the case, ridiculed the defense arguments, arguing that Zimmerman had courted publicity by appearing on national television and was now complaining that he felt menaced.

New York Times

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.