SANFORD, Fla. — The murder trial for the Florida man charged in the shooting death of teenager Trayvon Martin remains set for a June start after a judge Tuesday denied a defense request for a postponement.
George Zimmerman’s lead attorney, Mark O’Mara, presented a motion to have the trial pushed back to November. He argued that prosecutors had been slow to turn over needed evidence.
State attorney Bernie de la Rionda denied the accusation that the prosecution had been dragging its feet and said it was rather a case of the defense’s using inefficient means to secure the information it wanted.
With roughly four months left before the scheduled June 10 trial, Judge Debra Nelson said she felt the defense still has time to work out the outstanding issues. ‘‘I don’t see any of your issues to be insurmountable,’’ Nelson said in denying the motion.
Zimmerman, 29, says he acted in self-defense in shooting the 17-year-old last year and has pleaded not guilty to a second-degree murder charge.