You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Nation

Zimmerman’s defense attorneys react to verdict

Attorneys Mark O’Mara (from left) and Don West spoke with George Zimmerman after the judge informed them the jury had questions on Saturday.

AP

Attorneys Mark O’Mara (from left) and Don West spoke with George Zimmerman after the judge informed them the jury had questions on Saturday.

SANFORD, Fla. — George Zimmerman’s lead defense attorney says he is ‘‘ecstatic’’ that the former neighborhood watch volunteer has been cleared of all charges in the fatal shooting of Travyon Martin.

Mark O’Mara said Saturday night after the verdict was announced that the only thing Zimmerman was guilty of was protecting himself. Another defense attorney, Don West, says he is pleased the jury ‘‘kept this tragedy from becoming a travesty.’’

Continue reading below

Prosecutors say they are disappointed that the jury of six women did not find Zimmerman guilty of second-degree murder, which they felt was an appropriate charge because Zimmerman’s mindset the night he shot Martin ‘‘fit the bill.’’

The jury had also been given the chance to convict Zimmerman of manslaughter but did not do so, despite asking for a clarification of the charge earlier in the evening.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week