Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

CIA rushed operatives to help stem Libya attack

Agency provides timeline of effort to save diplomats

The US consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was set on fire after the attack. The US ambassador died in the initial assault.

Esam Al-Fetori/Reuters

The US consulate in Benghazi, Libya, was set on fire after the attack. The US ambassador died in the initial assault.

WASHINGTON — The CIA rushed security operatives to an American diplomatic compound in Libya within 25 minutes after it had come under attack and played a more central role in the effort to fend off a nightlong siege than has been acknowledged publicly, US intelligence officials said Thursday.

The agency mobilized the evacuation effort, took control of an unarmed US military drone to map possible escape routes, dispatched an emergency security team from Tripoli, the capital, and chartered aircraft that ultimately carried surviving American personnel to safety, US officials said.

Continue reading below

The account provided by senior US intelligence officials offers the most detailed chronology yet of the Sept. 11 assault that killed the US ambassador to Libya and three other Americans. The attack has become a flash point in the US presidential campaign.

The decision to give a comprehensive account of the attack five days before the election is likely to be regarded with suspicion, particularly among Republicans who have accused the Obama administration of misleading the public by initially describing the assault as a spontaneous eruption that began as a protest of an anti-Islamic video.

US officials said they decided to offer a detailed account of the CIA’s role to rebut media reports that have suggested that agency leaders delayed sending help to State Department officials seeking to fend off a heavily armed mob.

Instead, US intelligence officials insisted that CIA operatives in Benghazi and Tripoli made decisions rapidly throughout the assault with no interference from Washington.

“There was no second-guessing those decisions being made on the ground, by people at every US organization that could play a role in assisting those in danger,” a senior US intelligence official said in a prepared statement that summarized the chronology of the attack and was made available to news organizations.

The information does not address the main source of political controversy surrounding the siege: the shifting assessments offered by Obama administration officials over whether the assault was a protest that turned violent or a planned terrorist attack.

But officials reiterated that the initial intelligence was fragmentary and often contradictory. They said talking points for members of Congress and senior administration officials did not discuss possible links between the attackers and Al Qaeda because the information was classified.

The briefing and material provided Thursday focused on the hour-by-hour developments in Benghazi. Among the disclosures is that the CIA station chief in Tripoli sent an emergency security force, with about a half-dozen agency operatives as well as two US military personnel, to Benghazi aboard a hastily chartered aircraft while the attack was underway.

The team arrived after midnight and attempted to organize an effort to make its way to a hospital where US Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens had been taken and was thought to be alive.

But the team was held up by a combination of the time required to secure transportation and arms from US-allied Libyan militias, new reports that the ambassador was probably already dead, and uncertainty about the security situation at the hospital.

The annex in Benghazi to which US diplomatic personnel were evacuated was a CIA base the agency had established as its first stronghold in Libya before autocrat Moammar Khadafy was overthrown late last year.

US officials said the CIA base learned of the assault on the nearby diplomatic compound in a desperate phone call about 9:40 p.m.

CIA security operatives assembled their gear and lined up vehicles even while agency officials sought, without success, to enlist Libyan militias that had been hired to provide security for the diplomatic outpost in Benghazi.

‘‘Over the next 25 minutes, team members approach the compound, attempt to secure heavy weapons’’ from Libyans encountered along the way, and ‘‘make their way onto the compound itself in the face of enemy fire,’’ the senior US intelligence official said.

Shortly after 11 p.m., an unarmed Predator drone diverted from another mission arrived over Benghazi and began providing video surveillance.

The CIA operatives appear to have been part of a group of US security personnel and Libyan guards who made several attempts to fight their way into a structure known as ‘‘Villa C.’’

By 11:30 p.m., ‘‘all US personnel, except for the missing US ambassador, depart the mission,’’ the official said.

By then, attackers had also descended on the CIA compound, about a mile from the diplomatic facility, attacking the facility with small-arms and rocket fire sporadically over the next 90 minutes.

Then, about 1 a.m., the siege went suddenly quiet, a pause that lasted until near daybreak, apparently leading CIA and State Department officials to think the danger had passed.

In the ‘‘pre-dawn time frame, that team at the airport finally manages to secure transportation and armed escort and — having learned that the ambassador was almost certainly dead — heads to the annex to assist with the evacuation,’’ the official said.

The team arrived, accompanied by Libyan security elements, at 5:15 a.m., ‘‘just before the mortar rounds begin to hit the annex,’’ the official said. Some mortar rounds struck the roof, where guards had taken position and returned fire.

Two CIA contractors, both former Navy SEALs, were killed. That final spasm of violence lasted 11 minutes, officials said. ‘‘Less than an hour later, a heavily-armed Libyan military unit arrived to help evacuate the compound of all US personnel,’’ the senior US intelligence official said.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week