You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

World

  

US aide condemns Hezbollah in Syria

BEIRUT — A senior American official on Monday denounced Hezbollah for its involvement in Syria’s civil war and said the Lebanese militant group’s actions place the future of Lebanon at risk.

The comments from Deputy Secretary of State William Burns were the first by a high-ranking visiting US official since Hezbollah helped propel President Bashar Assad’s troops to victory in the Syrian town of Qusair near the Lebanese border last month.

Continue reading below

Syrian troops have been building on the victory to move against rebel-held areas elsewhere in the central province of Homs and in the north.

‘‘Despite its membership in the Lebanese government, Hezbollah has decided to put its own interests and those of its foreign backers above those of the Lebanese people,’’ Burns told reporters as he wrapped up a two-day visit to Lebanon.

He added that the United States condemned ‘‘in the strongest terms’’ Hezbollah’s actions in Syria.

The group’s open participation in the war has helped fan sectarian hatreds across the region and sparked deadly street fighting on several occasions in Lebanese cities.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week