You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Red Sox Live

2

1

▲  5th Inning 2 outs

Watchdog gets new details of Syrian chemical arsenal

These Free Syrian Army fighters rested in Aleppo on Saturday. The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons was reviewing a further disclosure on Syria’s program.

Muzaffar Salman/Reuters

These Free Syrian Army fighters rested in Aleppo on Saturday. The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons was reviewing a further disclosure on Syria’s program.

THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Technical experts at the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons were reviewing Saturday a further disclosure from Syria about its chemical weapons program.

A day earlier, the body that polices the global treaty outlawing chemical weapons said it had received a preliminary submission from Syria.

Continue reading below

No details have been released about the Syrian declarations, and OPCW spokesman Michael Luhan refused to give any more information about the latest submission.

Under a US-Russia agreement aimed at swiftly ridding Syria of its chemical arsenal, Damascus had until Saturday to submit a full list to the organization of its chemical weapons and production facilities so they can be secured and destroyed.

US officials said last week that Washington and Moscow agreed that Syria had roughly 1,100 tons of chemical weapons agents and precursors, including blister agents, such as sulfur and mustard gas, and nerve agents such as sarin.

In the aftermath of the UN report that concluded sarin had been used in an Aug. 21 attack in Damascus, the Hague-based chemical weapons watchdog is looking for ways to fast-track moves to secure and destroy Syria’s arsenal of poison gas and nerve agents as well as its production facilities.

However, diplomatic efforts to speed up the process are moving slowly. A meeting initially scheduled for Sunday at which the organization’s 41-nation executive council was to have discussed a US-Russian plan to swiftly rid Syria of chemical weapons was postponed Friday. No new date has yet been set for the meeting and no reason given for its postponement.

Under the United States-Russia agreement brokered last weekend in Geneva, inspectors will be in Syria by November. During that month, they are to complete their initial assessment and all mixing and filling equipment for chemical weapons is to be destroyed. All components of the chemical weapons program are to be removed from the country or destroyed by mid-2014.

The destruction plan of action will be backed up by a UN Security Council resolution.

Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday he talked to his Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, about Syria’s chemical weapons. ‘‘I had a fairly long conversation with Foreign Minister Lavrov,’’ Kerry said in Washington. ‘‘We talked about the cooperation which we both agreed to continue to provide, moving not only toward the adoption of the OPCW rules and regulations, but also a resolution that is firm and strong within the United Nations. We will continue to work on that.’’

The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons polices a global treaty known as the Chemical Weapons Convention, which bars the development, production, stockpiling, and use of chemical arms. The organization relies on a global network of more than a dozen top laboratories to analyze field samples.

It has already overseen the destruction of large quantities of chemical weapons held by nations including the United States and Russia.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.