You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Israel searches West Bank for 3 missing teen settlers

Israeli soldiers were out in force Friday looking for three teenagers who may have may have been abducted.

Ammar Awad/Reuters

Israeli soldiers were out in force Friday looking for three teenagers who may have may have been abducted.

JERUSALEM — Israeli soldiers searched the West Bank on Friday for three missing teenagers from nearby settlements, one of them a US citizen, who are feared kidnapped by Palestinian militants, authorities said.

Authorities offered little detail, with local media only reporting that the hitchhiking teenagers left their yeshiva, or religious seminary, on Thursday night and had not been seen since. Soldiers near Hebron combed the rocky hills of the West Bank searching for them Friday.

Continue reading below

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the disappearances, which occurred after the formation of a Palestinian unity government following the collapse of peace talks.

Two Israeli defense officials said authorities believed the teens were probably kidnapped by Palestinian militants, without elaborating. They spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not allowed to brief journalists.

‘‘The main mission is to ensure their return,’’ said Brigadier General Motti Almoz, a military spokesman.

Tsuri Tsuf, a spokesman for a settlement where one of the teens is from, told Israel’s Channel 10 television that his community was ‘‘greatly worried’’ and gathered to pray for the safety of the youths. Authorities found a burned-out car during their search that investigators were examining.

Israel’s Shin Bet intelligence agency initially imposed a gag order Friday morning blocking local media from reporting on the incident. Later, an official familiar with the investigation told the Associated Press that one of the teens was an American and that Israeli authorities notified US Ambassador Dan Shapiro. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to publicly brief journalists.

The three teens are from settlements in the West Bank, territory Israel captured from Jordan in the 1967 Mideast war and that Palestinians are demanding as part of their future state along with the Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem.

If Palestinians abducted the teens, it would be the first serious incident to challenge relations with Israel since the formation of a Palestinian unity government earlier this month, led by President Mahmoud Abbas’s Fatah party and backed by the Islamic militant group Hamas. The West and Israel consider Hamas a terror group because of its deadly attacks targeting civilians.

Secretary of State John F. Kerry called Abbas to talk about the missing teenagers and will probably call Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu as well, a senior State Department official said. The official was not authorized to discuss the matter by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Netanyahu told the teens’ families that Israel is ‘‘making every effort’’ to find them, his office said in a statement. He earlier said the Palestinian Authority is responsible for the teens’ safety.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.