BOKSBURG, South Africa — Former Grand Slam doubles champion Bob Hewitt was charged in a South African court Friday with two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault of minors in cases that date back as far as the early 1980s.
Prosecutors charged the 73-year-old Hewitt with raping a girl under the age of 16 in 1981 in Sun City in northern South Africa. Hewitt also was charged with raping another girl under 16 in Boksburg, east of Johannesburg, in 1982.
A third charge of sexual assault of a girl under 18 in Boksburg in 1994 was read out at Boksburg Magistrate’s Court.
Hewitt, who won 15 Grand Slam doubles titles, has previously denied the accusations. He did not attend his case’s first court hearing, citing ill health, but defense lawyer Alwyn Griebenow said Hewitt denies all the charges.
Hewitt is suffering from anxiety attacks among other health problems, is taking medication and couldn’t travel from his home in Addo, on South Africa’s southern coast, to attend the hearing, Griebenow told reporters.
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week