fb-pixelNantucket drownings: Man, 31, dies in apparent drowning Saturday, third on Nantucket since late July Skip to main content

Man, 31, dies in apparent drowning on Nantucket; third drowning on island since late July

WATCH: Deputy news editor Hayley Kaufman gives some strategies to help prevent drowning tragedies.

A 31-year-old man died in an apparent drowning Saturday at Ladies Beach on Nantucket, the third such death on the island since late last month, officials said.

Lifeguards pulled the unresponsive man from the water around 4:15 p.m., and firefighters arrived a few minutes later, Fire Chief Michael M. Cranson said in a statement.

Ladies Beach was unguarded at the time, so bystanders “called 911 and the public safety dispatchers contacted lifeguards at the closest guarded beach, and they responded over to the site of the incident,” Cranson said.

Cranson said emergency responders “began advanced life-support procedures” on the man, who was later taken to Nantucket Cottage Hospital.

“Despite the best efforts of both the Nantucket lifeguards and the NFD, the patient unfortunately died,” Cranson said. “We extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends during this difficult time.”

The man’s name was withheld.

His death came five days after another man was pulled unresponsive from the water at Miacomet Beach and taken to the hospital, officials said. He later died, Cranson said.

On July 20, a Connecticut resident died after being pulled from the water during the Nantucket Triathlon.

The race director, Bill Burnett, said the participant “experienced a medical emergency” during the swim portion of the race.

“Our hearts are broken,” Burnett said at the time. “The Nantucket Triathlon is committed to safety and has been known for organizing high-quality events for over 14 years. At this point, we ask that the entire island and all visiting athletes stand with and support the family impacted by this tragedy. They need our love and prayers.”

Just after 7 a.m., lifeguards alerted firefighters that a triathlon participant was unresponsive in the water, officials said.

Lifeguards brought the swimmer to shore at 7:05 a.m. and advanced lifesaving interventions began two minutes later, officials said.

The swimmer was taken to Nantucket Cottage Hospital and pronounced dead shortly after 8 a.m., officials said.


Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com.