R.I. police still investigating Schilling’s video game company
PROVIDENCE — There’s still an open, ongoing criminal investigation into Rhode Island’s failed $75 million deal with ex-Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling’s video game company, the head of the State Police said Thursday.
Colonel Steven O’Donnell made the comments the day several groups called for an independent investigation into the 38 Studios deal.
O’Donnell said the criminal investigation is under review by State Police and Attorney General Peter Kilmartin, and he said he can’t comment on its scope or timeline for finishing,
‘‘When we’re done investigating to the best of our ability, then the case will be charged or not charged,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s something we worked together on because it is so lengthy and long and we have to constantly review it.’’
O’Donnell said it would be inappropriate to say whether former House speaker Gordon Fox, who was speaker when the deal was made in 2010, is being investigated.
Fox, a Democrat, was sentenced on unrelated corruption charges in June after tearfully declaring himself a disgrace and saying he had been driven by greed and ‘‘just plain stupidity.’’ Kilmartin said then that no further investigations were pending against Fox.
A spokeswoman for Kilmartin on Thursday said the office continues to review the information about the 38 Studios deal given to it by the police.
‘‘At this time the investigation is active and ongoing, and it is the policy of this office not to comment on the details of any investigation,’’ she said.
Schilling also played for the Baltimore Orioles, the Houston Astros, the Philadelphia Phillies, and the Arizona Diamondbacks before ending his career with Boston in 2007. His company went bankrupt in 2012, leaving taxpayers on the hook. He has said the company fully disclosed its financial condition to the state’s Economic Development Corp.
Also Thursday, former Republican gubernatorial candidate Ken Block, with his group WatchdogRI, and the groups Rhode Island Taxpayers and the Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity called for an independent investigation into the deal, which provided the company a $75 million state loan guarantee to move to Rhode Island from Massachusetts.
A spokeswoman for Governor Gina Raimondo said that while she wants to uncover any wrongdoing, she does not want to jeopardize the state’s lawsuit in the case.