A Suffolk Superior Court judge on Wednesday denied a request for an emergency injunction to stop Boston Children’s Hospital from demolishing a beloved healing garden on its campus to make way for a new clinical care building.
The ruling means Children’s can continue with its controversial expansion project.
Opponents fighting to save the Prouty Garden appealed a recent decision by the state to allow the project and were seeking a temporary block on construction. After hearing about an hour of arguments, Judge Kenneth W. Salinger deliberated and denied their request.
“All eyes are on the hospital now, if it wants to go ahead like a bull in a china shop,” said Gregor McGregor, a lawyer for the Prouty Garden supporters.
Hospital spokesman Rob Graham said in an e-mail that “Boston Children’s is pleased with the Court’s decision to not delay needed work.”
Children’s plans to construct an 11-story tower on its Longwood Medical Area campus as part of a $1 billion expansion that will add 71 beds, mostly in intensive care. The hospital held ceremonies honoring the Prouty Garden last week and said the site would close soon. Children’s plans to build new green spaces within its refurbished campus.
The decision to build over the garden is opposed by many employees, patients, and families who see the space as sacred and contend hospital officials should have chosen a different location for the expansion.
The project also has come under fire for its potential to raise health care costs, because Children’s is the most expensive pediatric hospital in the state. Children’s, which is renowned internationally, has said the new beds mostly will serve growing numbers of patients from other states and countries.
Prouty Garden supporters sued the hospital over its plans in April. That case continues.Priyanka Dayal McCluskey can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @priyanka_dayal.