A Foxborough man died after being stung by bees in his backyard Saturday, his wife said.
Eric Dahl, 48, was doing yard work at his home on Keryn’s Way when he was stung.
“He was doing yard work, blowing leaves,” said his wife, Alison.
She didn’t see what happened, but suddenly he stopped working and he told her he’d been stung by a “ton of bees” and that he felt like he was going to pass out.
Foxborough fire Chief Roger Hatfield said paramedics arrived at the scene and did their best to help, but his condition deteriorated rapidly.
“He was not responding to anything,” Hatfield said. “His vitals were starting to drop.”
He was taken to Norwood Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
As many as 90 to 100 people in the United States die as a result of allergic reactions to insect stings each year, according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.
But Alison Dahl said her husband was not allergic to bees. He’d been stung several times in the past and never had any problems, she said.
“They think the bee stings caused the heart attack,” she said. But they won’t be sure until the autopsy results are in, she said.
It’s “crazy,” she said. “I’m still in shock.”
According to his obituary, Dahl was a dedicated father and an avid runner who loved sports. Born in Cambridge, he graduated from Matignon High School and received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Bentley University. He worked as a systems analyst for Fidelity Investments in North Smithfield, R.I.
It’s unclear how many times Dahl was stung, Hatfield said.
Hatfield said he couldn’t comment on what caused Dahl’s death and described it as a “tragic situation.”
“He was a young man who was in great shape,” said Hatfield.
Hatfield said the paramedics did everything they could to save him.
“It was very, very sad,” he said. “We here at Foxborough Fire and Rescue feel so sad for the family, and our thoughts and prayers go out to them.”