scorecardresearch

Brewster teacher charged with molesting children at the school was investigated in prior case

The Brewster elementary school teacher charged with raping and indecently assaulting two young students was suspected in 2010 of molesting a 4-year-old child at his prior job but no charges were ever filed, court records show.

Details of the 2010 matter emerged in a Brewster police report filed in the case against Noah Campbell-Halley, 36, in Orleans District Court. Campbell-Halley, of Harwich, was arraigned Thursday on three counts of indecent assault and battery of a child under 14, two counts of rape of a child, and one count of intimidation of a witness.

A not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf, and he was held on $25,000 cash bail.

Advertisement



Campbell-Halley allegedly assaulted the two victims, aged 6 and 7, at Stony Brook Elementary School in Brewster, where he teaches technology. The boys said he repeatedly took them into a small room adjacent to his classroom and assaulted them. The police investigation is continuing, officials said.

Campbell-Halley’s lawyer at arraignment said Friday that he was no longer representing him. A working number for Campbell-Halley couldn’t be located.

He has worked at Stony Brook for five years but was previously suspected of indecently assaulting a 4-year-old at his prior job at Cape Cod Children’s Place, a nonprofit in Eastham, the police report said.

Eastham police investigated that matter at the time but no charges were filed, court records show.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, Cape Cod Children’s Place said it “reported the incident and cooperated fully and openly with a police investigation that included forensic specialists.”

“It was determined that there was no evidence to support any finding of inappropriate behavior,” said the organization in its statement. “The police closed the file on that matter.”

The group said it was legally “constrained from futher discussion about Mr. Campbell-Halley’s employment history.”

Advertisement



In its statement, Cape Cod Children’s Place said it was “heartbroken” to learn that Campbell-Halley faces charges for allegedly sexually assaulting students at Stony Brook.

“This is devastating to our community in so many ways, and we are holding all our local families in our hearts,” read the statement.

Tom Conrad, superintendent of the Nauset Public Schools, which includes Stony Brook, said Friday in an e-mail that school officials had no information about “any issue at the Children’s Place” at the time of Campbell-Halley’s hiring.

Campbell-Halley was placed on administrative leave Monday.

Eastham police Chief Edward V. Kulhawik said Friday in an e-mail that his department had conducted a thorough investigation of the 2010 case.

“Yes, an investigation was conducted and involved an extensive inquiry into the allegations,” Kulhawik wrote. “A forensic interview was conducted by the Children’s cove [SIC] which is the investigative arm of the District attorney’s office which investigates alleged sexual abuse cases through forensic interviews. . . . In addition, DCF was also involved. After an exhaustive process it was determined that we did not meet the threshold to pursue charges against the individual. Being that there were [no] charges filed or arrests made, I cannot comment further on this.”

Brewster police Detective-Sergeant Paul Judge Jr. wrote in his report in the pending case that Campbell-Halley became distraught when Judge confronted him about the allegations on Monday morning at the Stony Brook school.

“Campbell-Halley immediately broke down in tears without saying anything,” Judge wrote, adding that the teacher repeatedly asked if he could retrieve his lunch before leaving the building. “It is to be noted, Campbell-Halley never denied any involvement in the allegations against him, nor did he ask about who the accusers were.”

Advertisement



Another police report filed by Brewster Officer Matthew B. Marshall said one of the alleged victims indicated that Campbell-Halley tried to silence him with threats, warning that he would “hurt his parents” if he told anyone about the assaults.

Campbell-Halley is due back in court on April 20.


Danny McDonald of Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at tandersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.