fb-pixel Skip to main content
LINCOLN

Town approves Trustees’ acquisition of deCordova park and museum

The Trustees of Reservations’ planned acquisition of the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum took a major step forward recently when the plan received approval from Lincoln’s Annual Town Meeting.

An integration agreement reached last fall provides for the nonprofit owner of the park and museum to become an affiliate of the Trustees, which would operate the sculpture park and museum on Sandy Pond Road in Lincoln.

In keeping with the wishes and will of Julian de Cordova, who donated the property to Lincoln in 1948, the land and buildings would continue to be owned by the town.

The agreement was contingent on the recent Town Meeting vote, which approved changes to the bylaw governing the structure of the deCordova board, and the successful completion of a $15 million fund0raising campaign, which to date has raised $11.5 million.

Advertisement



Established in 1950, deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum is the largest park of its kind in New England, encompassing nearly 30 conserved acres and featuring sculptures in the landscape and museum exhibitions. The Trustees is a statewide land conservation organization.

The town meeting action “brings us another step closer to realizing this important partnership between two organizations who believe in the power of connecting people to nature and culture through engaging art experiences,” Barbara Erickson, the Trustees’ President and CEO, said in a statement. “We look forward to the prospect of welcoming the deCordova into The Trustees family.”


John Laidler can be reached at laidler@globe.com.