fb-pixelThese days, Dave Dombrowski is all ears with Red Sox - The Boston Globe Skip to main content
NICK CAFARDO | ON BASEBALL

These days, Dave Dombrowski is all ears with Red Sox

Dave Dombrowski joined the ballclub earlier this month.jim davis/globe staff

NEW YORK — Dave Dombrowski is getting to know his team. Getting to know his city.

He’s already gone for a run along the Charles. He has his coffee every morning at Dunkin’ Donuts. He’s spent time at local restaurants and knows the walk from Commonwealth Avenue to Fenway Park and back oh so well.

Dombrowski made his first road trip with the Red Sox on Friday. He will accompany the team on the road until the end of the season in an effort to answer questions he has about players, staff, protocol, you name it.

The president of baseball operations has basically told his department heads to proceed as normal. As he said in his introductory press conference, he’s not here to blow it all up.

But perhaps over time he will, and maybe he should.

Dombrowski said he’s had about a dozen meetings with personnel and key staffers, lasting two to three hours apiece. He’s gotten to know them, figure out what they do and how they might fit into how he does things.

He’s found that there are far more employees working for the Red Sox than work for the Tigers, and he thinks that’s great, but it means he has to talk to a lot of people to find out their specific duties.

He’s amazed at how large the analytics department is, how big the video department is. He’s amazed at the size of the scouting staff, most of which will be in Boston for meetings next week.

Unfortunately, all those resources have led the Red Sox to last place in three of the last four years. Dombrowski’s Marlins won the World Series in 1997 and then finished in last place the next two seasons. But Dombrowski was forced by ownership to trade off all the veterans after the championship season.

Dombrowski said he hasn’t dismissed anyone with the Sox, though a major league source said director of pro scouting Jared Porter has left the team to join the Cubs.

Dombrowski did make some news Friday when discussing whether to pick up Clay Buchholz’s $13 million option.

“Picking up the option is a very simple thing because he’s a good big league pitcher,” Dombrowski said. “The option is a good option. But it’s more of the health perspective. That’s one of those easy decisions because he’s a good, quality pitcher when he’s on the mound. Just have to make sure he’s OK. We’ve got some time on that.”

Dombrowski said Buchholz will not pitch again this season; he hasn’t pitched since July 10 because of a strained flexor muscle in his right elbow. Buchholz is averaging just 20 starts per year over the last three seasons, and has spent time on the disabled list in seven consecutive seasons.

Dombrowski said he likes what he sees from the Sox’ young outfielders and he’s willing to see whether Hanley Ramirez can transition from left field to first base.

“They’re all good outfielders,” said Dombrowski. “What we really need to think about is, they [the current front office] know Fenway Park better than I know Fenway Park. I’ve played in there and had nightmares of Fenway Park. I’ve only come in as a visitor. So, what’s the best alignment to play 81 games like that?

“You can probably work on it a little bit in spring training, compared to say Hanley’s situation going to first base. But if we can come out of 2015 saying, ‘This is the ideal setup,’ it would be great.”

Dombrowski said he gave approval to try Ramirez at first base, something some staff members initially disagreed with.

“It just seemed to make sense and nobody disagreed,” Dombrowski said. “Hanley was fine with it. Not that you have to rush it, but it gives us some time to get him out there. I wouldn’t want to say, ‘Let’s wait until spring training and let’s see if he can do it.’ What happens if he can’t do it? You really need to know that more so now.”

Ramirez has had two brief practice sessions at first base, going over footwork. He’s not the hardest worker, so you wonder if he’ll devote proper time to learning the position. He’s been hurt a lot this year, and was scratched from the lineup Friday with right shoulder soreness.

“We’re going to play it by ear,” Dombrowski said. “I think it’s more important that he feel comfortable playing first base. You can get hurt over there with runners coming down if your footwork is not right. I’m really not worried about him catching ground balls over there eventually. He’s been an infielder, his arm strength is good enough to play over there.”

If there’s a way for Ramirez to get hurt, he’ll find it. His chronic injury history dates to his years with the Marlins. Dombrowski is no dummy. He certainly knows of Ramirez’s issues, and I assume he never would have signed Ramirez.

On Friday night, Dombrowski watched batting practice from behind the cage. He was joined by Jerry Dipoto, who was hired by former general manager Ben Cherington on a three-month contract to assess the organization. Dombrowski has kept Dipoto on to have another set of eyes evaluating the team.

Dombrowski said he has not started a GM search, except to make a list of potential candidates. He said he would ideally love to have one in place by the end of the season, but won’t rush it. Most people in baseball give Frank Wren the best chance of landing the job.

Dombrowski is all ears these days. He knows there are staffers trying to impress him with their knowledge of the team. He’s smart enough to know he must beware of being snowed. He’ll assess, watch, listen.

But in the end, the Red Sox will be his team.


Nick Cafardo can be reached at cafardo@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @nickcafardo.