Sports

SPORTS LOG

Yankees lose Greg Bird for the season

Greg Bird had a strong first season in the majors in 2015, hitting .261 with 11 homers, 31 RBIs, and 9 doubles in 157 at-bats.
Elsa/Getty Images/File 2015
Greg Bird had a strong first season in the majors in 2015, hitting .261 with 11 homers, 31 RBIs, and 9 doubles in 157 at-bats.

The Yankees will be without first base prospect Greg Bird for the entire 2016 season, with Bird scheduled to undergo surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday. The team announced Monday that Bird, 23, will have his labrum repaired by Dr. David Altchek at The Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, and that the injury is a reoccurrence of the one originally sustained last May. Bird hit .261 with 11 homers, 31 RBIs, and 9 doubles in 157 at-bats last season and had been viewed as protection against injuries to oft-hurt first baseman Mark Teixeira, who is entering the final season of his contract . . . The Diamondbacks are giving the Brewers $6.5 million as part of the trade last week that sent infielder Aaron Hill and righthander Chase Anderson to Milwaukee for shortstop Jean Segura and righthander Tyler Wagner. Hill is owed $12 million in the final season of his contract . . . The Giants and reliever George Kontos agreed to a one-year, $1.15 million deal, thus avoiding arbitration.

BASKETBALL

Duke out of AP poll for first time since 2007

For the first time in more than eight years, Duke is absent from the Associated Press Top 25 men’s basketball poll. Mike Krzyzewski’s Blue Devils (15-6) have lost four of five, dropping out of the poll after 167 consecutive weeks of inclusion. Duke was last unranked in the 2007-08 preseason poll. Oklahoma (18-2) starts its third week at No. 1, while Providence (18-4) slipped from 10th to 11th. No. 2 North Carolina (19-3) lost at No. 19 Louisville, 71-65, on Monday night. UConn (20-0) remained the unanimous No. 1 in the AP women’s poll . . . Providence junior Kris Dunn (17.4 points, 6.9 assists, 3.2 steals per game) is among the 10 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the top point guard in Division 1 . . . The Holy Cross men’s team lost, 58-45, to American (6-15, 4-6) in a Patriot League game in Washington. Cullen Hamilton scored 18 points for the Crusaders (9-13, 4-6) . . . The New York Liberty re-signed former Boston College center and Sudbury native Carolyn Swords, who was a restricted free agent. Swords averaged 5.1 points and 4 rebounds per game last season in helping the Liberty reach the Eastern Conference finals. New York also signed free agent guard Shavonte Zellous to a multiyear contract. Zellous played with the Indiana Fever the last five seasons.

HOCKEY

Oilers rookie McDavid cleared for comeback

Edmonton Oilers rookie center Connor McDavid said he is ready to return after breaking his left collarbone Nov. 3. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 draft has missed 37 games. ‘‘He is ready to go,’’ coach Todd McLellan said after McDavid was a full participant in practice. McDavid, 19, has five goals and 12 points in 13 games. Edmonton hosts Columbus on Tuesday night . . . The Detroit Red Wings placed defenseman Niklas Kronwall (knee) on long-term injured reserve. He has not played since Jan. 17 . . . Quinnipiac (20-1-5) retained the No. 1 ranking in the USCHO.com men’s poll, receiving 35 of 50 first-place votes. No. 4 Boston College (18-4-4) got one first-place vote.

SOCCER

Coach: Messi will skip Rio Olympics to rest

Advertisement

Lionel Messi will skip the Rio de Janeiro Olympics because his coach, Gerardo Martino, says he needs some rest. Martino spoke Monday on Argentina radio station La Red and said, ‘‘Messi will not go to the Olympic Games.’’ However, he said the Barcelona star would play in the Centennial Copa America, which begins June 3. The Olympics start Aug. 5. Martino said it was ‘‘too much’’ for the Barcelona star to play both events, and to also focus on World Cup qualifying matches. Messi, 28, led Argentina to the gold medal in 2008 at the Beijing Olympics . . . Manchester City announced that Pep Guardiola will take over as manager on a three-year contract starting next season. He will replace Manuel Pellegrini, who is leaving the Premier League club at the end of the season . . . Former Revolution netminder Preston Burpo was hired by the New York Red Bulls as goalkeepers coach.

MISCELLANY

Bruno, 54, wants to return to boxing ring

Get Sports Headlines in your inbox:
The most recent sports headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno, 54, said he wants to make a return to competitive boxing. Bruno won the WBC heavyweight belt in 1995 and hasn’t fought since losing to Mike Tyson the following year . . . NCAA president Mark Emmert received a three-year contract extension that runs through October 2020. The NCAA board of governors approved an extension during the convention last month in San Antonio and announced Monday that it had voted unanimously to make it a three-year deal with a one-year option. Emmert has led the NCAA since 2010 . . . International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach visited Los Angeles to check out proposed venues for the 2024 Olympics. The IOC will decide on a host for the 2024 Summer Games in 2017 . . . Pro wrestling legend Bret “The Hitman” Hart, 58, revealed that he’s battling prostate cancer . . . Nicholas Turner, a junior football player for Division 2 national champion Northwest Missouri State, was found dead Sunday in his dorm room. The school stated that foul play is not suspected but authorities are investigating . . . FIFA has halted payments to the regional soccer bodies of the Americas during ongoing investigations into corruption. The money was due to the federation known as CONCACAF, which represents North and Central America and the Caribbean, and the South American group known as CONMEBOL. FIFA said the money has been put on hold ‘‘until further notice.’’ The international ruling body is ‘‘assessing further steps’’ to ‘‘increase the level of assurance’’ so funds may be released in the future. CONCACAF said a $10 million payment was halted. The group said it has met all of FIFA’s requests for documents to ‘‘ensure the issue is resolved in a timely manner.’’